Object Details

The Symbol of Discovery

Browse information by:
Location
Makers
General Information
Classification
Object Parts
Object Condition
History
References
Photographs

Download this information in PDF

See 3D model



Author: Anthony McIntosh
Copyright for Photograph:

Creative Commons

Location

Street:East Row
Town:Chichester
Parish:Chichester
Council:Chichester District Council
County:West Sussex
Postcode:PO19
Location on Google Map
Object setting:Outside building
and in:Road or Wayside
Access is:Public
Location note:Junction with Little London, outside the Chichester District Museum.
In the AZ book:West Sussex
Page:140
Grid reference:C7
The A-Z books used are A-Z East Sussex and A-Z West Sussex (Editions 1A 2005). Geographers' A-Z Map Company Ltd. Sevenoaks.

back to top

Makers

Name : Stanley Roth
     Role:Architect
Name : John Skelton
     Role:Sculptor

back to top

General Information

Commissioned by: Stanley Roth
Installation date:1963
Unveiling date:1963
Work is:Extant
Owner custodian:Chichester City Council
Object listing:Not listed
Description:Depicts two hands cradling a man-made jewel of gold leaf set in perspex. The surrounding cobblestones are inscribed.
Inscription:Blue slate plaque set into the cobbles at the front of the sculpture, inscribed by Skelton:

SYMBOL OF
DISCOVERY
Westmorland slate
John Skelton
Unveiled in 1963 by Sir
Charles Wheeler PRA
Museums present to the world the
precious offerings of the earth JS

back to top

Classification

Categories:Sculptural, Free Standing, Composite
Object type1:Sculpture
Subject type1:Figurative

back to top

Object Parts

Part 1:Jewel
     Material:Gold leaf set in perspex
Part 2:Plaque
     Material:Blue slate
Part 3:Two hands
     Material:Kirkstone Westmoreland green slate
     Height (cm):200
     Width (cm):60
     Depth (cm):25

back to top

Object Condition

Overall condition:Good
Risk assessment:No known risk
Date of on-site inspection:01/05/2007

back to top

History

History:Commissioned by Stanley Roth to stand on the forecourt of the Museum. Unveiled at opening of museum in 1963 by Sir Charles Wheeler.
'Constructed around the idea of a 'fragment', the form of the work has its roots in the discovery of antique remains, an idea that in the Romantic period became a symbol of loss. One of Henry Fuseli's most famous works shows a male figure bereft and weeping over the beauty of a large carved antique fragment. This metaphor for the lost totality, a vanished wholeness, looks back to the holy relics of saints, and Skelton's work draws on this tradition.'
('Chichester and the Arts: 1944-2004')
Hard archive file:No

back to top

References

Source 1 :
     Title:'Chichester and the Arts: 1944-2004'
     Type:Book
     Author:Foster, Paul (Ed.).
     Date:00/00/2004
     Publisher:University College Chichester.


Further information:
http://www.johnskelton.org.uk/

back to top

Photographs





Date: 01/05/2007
Author: Anthony McIntosh
Copyright: Creative Commons




Date: 01/05/2007
Author: Anthony McIntosh
Copyright: Creative Commons




Date: 01/05/2007
Author: Anthony McIntosh
Copyright: Creative Commons




Date: 01/05/2007
Author: Anthony McIntosh
Copyright: Creative Commons

back to top