Object Details

Minerva

Browse information by:
Location
Makers
General Information
Classification
Object Parts
Object Condition
History
References
Photographs

Download this information in PDF

See 3D model



Author: Anthony McIntosh
Copyright for Photograph:

Creative Commons

Location

Street:Broyle Road
Town:Chichester
Parish:Chichester
Council:Chichester District Council
County:West Sussex
Postcode:PO19
Location on Google Map
Object setting:Outside building
Access is:Public
Location note:Outside the foyer of the Minerva Theatre, Oaklands Park.
In the AZ book:East Sussex
Page:140
Grid reference:C5
The A-Z books used are A-Z East Sussex and A-Z West Sussex (Editions 1A 2005). Geographers' A-Z Map Company Ltd. Sevenoaks.

back to top

Makers

Name : Philip Jackson
     Role:Sculptor

back to top

General Information

Commissioned by: Minerva Theatre
Construction period:1997
Unveiling date:1997
Work is:Extant
Owner custodian:Chichester Festival Theatre
Object listing:Not listed
Description:A larger than life-size sculpture representing a cloaked and hooded Minerva on a simple bronze bench atop a rectangular brick base. The left hand and arm are outstretched towards a warrior's helmet towards the far edge of the bench. The right arm is supporting the reclining position. The statue stands at the door to the Minerva Theatre.
Iconographical description:Minerva was the Roman Goddess of crafts, poetry and wisdom and is known as the inventor of music. She was also Goddess of warriors, medicine, wisdom and commerce. The Romans said that Minerva was not born in the usual way, but rather Jupiter had a horrible headache and Vulcan opened up his head and out came Minerva, fully grown, and dressed in armour, a long trailing robe, a helmet, a shield and a spear.
Signatures:Base of the right arm of the cloak:
JACKSON
Inscription:On the side face of the bronze base, just underneath the helmet:

LESLIE EVERSHED-MARTIN
CBE SB ST. J. (1903-1994) FOUNDER OF
CHICHESTER FESTIVAL THEATRE

back to top

Classification

Categories:Commemorative, Sculptural, Free Standing
Object type1:Statue
Object type2:Sculpture
Subject type1:Figurative
     Subject subtype1:Seated
Subject type2:Mythological
     Subject subtype1:Full-length

back to top

Object Parts

Part 1:Base
     Material:Brick
     Height (cm):45
     Width (cm):215
     Depth (cm):135
Part 2:Sculpture
     Material:Bronze, patinated blue/green
     Height (cm):160
     Width (cm):175
     Depth (cm):95

back to top

Object Condition

Overall condition:Good
Risk assessment:No known risk
Date of on-site inspection:01/05/2007

back to top

History

History:Commissioned to commemorate the founder of the Chichester Festival Theatre, Leslie Evershed Martin. It was unveiled in 1997 by Carol Evershed Martin.

Chichester Festival Theatre started as the brainchild of local ophthalmic Leslie Evershed-Martin. He got the idea in 1959 when he watched a television programme about the Tyrone Guthrie Theatre in Stratford, Ontario - built on the edge of a city, in a park. He decided there should be such a theatre in Chichester and set about raising the £105,000 needed to build the theatre by means of private fundraising, public subscription and commercial sponsorship. Evershed-Martin wrote to Sir Laurence Olivier, who at that point was working in the USA, and asked him to become involved in the project. After some discussion between the two, it was decided that Olivier would become the Festival Theatre's inaugural Artistic Director. It was Olivier's vision that the theatre would produce several shows to run in repertoire sharing the same ensemble cast. And so it was that the theatre opened in 1962 with a 'festival' of three shows which were to run for three weeks (see a list of past productions) - hence Festival Theatre and Festival Season. Between '62 and '65 Olivier established a company of actors and other theatre practitioners at Chichester which provided the nucleus of his National Theatre Company. As the Festival Theatre became more established, some of the actors wanting to do more daring and challenging work effectively started their own fringe festival in the form of the New Ventures project at the Dolphin and Anchor Hotel. These impromptu performances grew in scale and moved into a large marquee, known as The Tent, opposite the Festival Theatre. It was the work of these actors which prompted the creation of the Minerva Theatre which stands today on The Tent's old site and keeps alive its tradition of exploring new and exciting work. The Minerva Theatre itself opened in April 1989 under the direction of Sam Mendes, after a successful fundraising campaign including a donation of £500,000 from a local businessman.
(http://www.cft.org.uk/content.asp?CategoryID=1107)
Hard archive file:No

back to top

References


Further information:
http://philipjacksonsculptures.co.uk/
http://www.cft.org.uk/

back to top

Photographs





Date: 01/05/2007
Author: Anthony McIntosh
Copyright: Creative Commons




Date: 01/05/2007
Author: Anthony McIntosh
Copyright: Creative Commons




Date: 01/05/2007
Author: Anthony McIntosh
Copyright: Creative Commons




Date: 01/05/2007
Author: Anthony McIntosh
Copyright: Creative Commons

back to top