Object Details

Indian Memorial Gate

Browse information by:
Location
Makers
General Information
Classification
Object Parts
Object Condition
History
References
Photographs

Download this information in PDF

See 3D model



Author: Anthony McIntosh
Copyright for Photograph:

Creative Commons

Location

Street:Pavilion Buildings
Town:Brighton
Parish:Brighton
Council:Brighton & Hove City Council
County:East Sussex
Postcode:BN1
Location on Google Map
Object setting:Garden
Access is:Public
Location note:South entrance to Royal Pavilion Gardens, next to the Royal Pavilion shop
In the AZ book:East Sussex
Page:162
Grid reference:E8
The A-Z books used are A-Z East Sussex and A-Z West Sussex (Editions 1A 2005). Geographers' A-Z Map Company Ltd. Sevenoaks.
OS Reference:TQ3104

back to top

Makers

Name : Thomas Tyrwhitt
     Role:Designer

back to top

General Information

Commissioned by: The Government of India
Installation date:1921
Unveiling date:1921
Work is:Extant
Owner custodian:Brighton & Hove City Council
Object listing:Grade II: of special interest warranting every effort to preserve them
Listing date:13/10/1952
Description:Square in plan with domed roof and in the Gujerati style. Four square piers set on high socles, to which are attached octagonal columns; two volute brackets at each corner support a roof which consists of two stages. The first stage is shallow and hipped, rising to frieze consisting of a frieze ornamented with sunflowers and petals, each corner of this frieze finishing in an upturned, prow-like volute; there follow architraves, each setting back to form a square base from which rises a dome crowned by a high pinnacle. Inside, corner squinches dive into an octagonal cornice with a flat ceiling above. Side walls and piers close off the road; wooden gates between panelled piers with ornamented tops.
Inscription:Carved into the wall to the left of the gate, facing Pavilion Buildings:

THIS GATEWAY IS THE GIFT OF INDIA
IN COMMEMORATION OF HER SONS WHO
STRICKEN IN THE GREAT WAR WERE
TENDED IN THE PAVILION IN 1914 AND 1915

Carved into the wall to the right of the gate, facing Pavilion Buildings:

DEDICATED TO THE USE OF
THE INHABITANTS OF BRIGHTON BY
H.H. THE MAHARAJA OF PATIALA
ON OCTOBER 26TH 1921
B.N. SOUTHALL
MAYOR

A new metal plaque onto wood was affixed to the left of the gate, facing Pavilion Buildings in October 2007 with the above inscriptions.

back to top

Classification

Categories:Architectural, Military, Commemorative
Object type1:War memorial
     Object subtype1:World War I
Object type2:Building
     Object subtype1:Gate(way)
Subject type1:Non-figurative

back to top

Object Parts

Part 1:Whole structure
     Material:Bath stone
     Height (cm):1128

back to top

Object Condition

Overall condition:Good
Risk assessment:No known risk
Date of on-site inspection:03/07/2007

back to top

History

History:Given by the people of India to commemorate the Indian soldiers who were in hospital at the Pavilion in WWI. It is dedicated to the inhabitants of Brighton and was unveiled by the Maharaja of Patiala in 1921. The gate is in the style of 16th century Gujerati buildings.
Hard archive file:Yes

back to top

References

Source 1 :
     Title:'Open Air Statues and Memorials' - New Pamphlet Box 17 (typed paper, 2 pages)
     Type:Archive
     Location:Brighton History Centre
     Catalogue reference:JLR 6/5/87


back to top

Photographs





Date: 03/07/2007
Author: Anthony McIntosh
Copyright: Creative Commons




Date: 03/07/2007
Author: Anthony McIntosh
Copyright: Creative Commons




Date: 03/07/2007
Author: Anthony McIntosh
Copyright: Creative Commons




Date: 03/07/2007
Author: Anthony McIntosh
Copyright: Creative Commons

back to top