Object Details

Friars Walk Drinking Fountain

Browse information by:
Location
Makers
General Information
Classification
Object Parts
Object Condition
History
References
Photographs

Download this information in PDF

See 3D model



Author: Anthony McIntosh
Copyright for Photograph:

Creative Commons

Location

Street:Friars Walk
Town:Lewes
Parish:Lewes
Council:Lewes District Council
County:East Sussex
Postcode:BN7
Location on Google Map
Object setting:Religious
and in:Road or Wayside
Access is:Public
Location note:South of All Saints Church, north side of Friars Walk
In the AZ book:East Sussex
Page:115
Grid reference:K5
The A-Z books used are A-Z East Sussex and A-Z West Sussex (Editions 1A 2005). Geographers' A-Z Map Company Ltd. Sevenoaks.
OS Reference:TQ4110

back to top

Makers

Name : Unknown

back to top

General Information

Installation date:1851
Work is:Extant
Owner custodian:Lewes Town Council
Object listing:Grade II: of special interest warranting every effort to preserve them
Listing date:29/10/2005
Description:Drinking fountain and pump. Stone pier on stepped pedestal. Stone tiled pyramidal cap with ball-finial, supported corbelling; face of pier cut back in arch around circular plaque. Cast iron pump in neo-Gothic aedicular frame with ogee-arch over. Pump with bowl on column and tap in upper part.
Inscription:Just underneath arch, circular stone plaque inscribed button style:

ERECTED
1874
BY SUBSCRIPTION

Carved into stone underneath plaque:

RESTORED IN 1888

In front of fountain, set into the base, metal plaque inscribed button style:

RESTORED BY THE FRIENDS OF LEWES
1981

back to top

Classification

Categories:Functional
Object type1:Fountain
     Object subtype1:Drinking Fountain
Subject type1:Non-figurative

back to top

Object Parts

Part 1:Surround
     Material:Stone

back to top

Object Condition

Overall condition:Good
Risk assessment:No known risk
Condition 1 of type:Structural
     More details:Restored 1981
Date of on-site inspection:22/05/2007

back to top

History

History:Sited in 1851 although the stone surround has the date 1874. Tapped the ancient Pinwell Spring that bubbled up by the Friary wall opposite. The wellhead was restored in 1981 by the Friends of Lewes Civic Society.
('Hidden Lewes: an artist's eye for detail')
Hard archive file:No

back to top

References

Source 1 :
     Title:'Hidden Lewes: an artist's eye for detail'
     Type:Book
     Author:Van Dyck, Marietta.
     Date:00/00/1998
     Page:22
     Publisher:Pomegranite Press. Westmeston.


back to top

Photographs





Date: 22/05/2007
Author: Anthony McIntosh
Copyright: Creative Commons




Date: 22/05/2007
Author: Anthony McIntosh
Copyright: Creative Commons




Date: 22/05/2007
Author: Anthony McIntosh
Copyright: Creative Commons




Date: 22/05/2007
Author: Anthony McIntosh
Copyright: Creative Commons

back to top