Object Details

Monument to Edward VII - The Peace Statue

Browse information by:
Location
Makers
General Information
Classification
Object Parts
Object Condition
History
References
Photographs

Download this information in PDF

See 3D model



Author: Anthony McIntosh
Copyright for Photograph:

Creative Commons

Location

Street:Kingsway / Kings Road
Town:Brighton / Hove
Parish:Brighton / Hove
Council:Brighton & Hove City Council
County:East Sussex
Postcode:BN3/BN1
Location on Google Map
Object setting:Road or Wayside
Access is:Public
Location note:Between Brunswick Lawns and the Esplanade opposite Brunswick Terrace. Sits on the boundary between Brighton and Hove.
In the AZ book:East Sussex
Page:131
Grid reference:M8
The A-Z books used are A-Z East Sussex and A-Z West Sussex (Editions 1A 2005). Geographers' A-Z Map Company Ltd. Sevenoaks.
OS Reference:TQ2904

back to top

Makers

Company/Group :A.B.Burton, Thames Ditton
     Role:Foundry
Company/Group :William Kirkpatrick Ltd., Manchester
     Role:Builder
Name : Newbury Abbot Trent
     Role:Sculptor

back to top

General Information

Unveiling date:12/10/1912
Work is:Extant
Owner custodian:Brighton & Hove City Council
Object listing:Grade II: of special interest warranting every effort to preserve them
Listing date:13/10/1952
Description:A draped, winged, female figure standing on a globe. The left hand holds an orb, the right arm is raised holding an olive branch. The figure faces the road. The globe is supported by dolphin-like figures with swag in their mouths. The statue stands atop a stone pedestal that carries bronze plaques on each side. There are three steps surrounded by grass at the base of the pedestal.
Iconographical description:A winged figure representing peace.
Signatures:Base of globe, right hand side:
N A TRENT Sc LONDON
Base of pedestal:
NEWBURY A. TRENT. SC.
Inscription:North face, bronze portrait profile on plaque with:

EDWARD VII
1901 - 1910

West face, bronze coat of arms with lettering on scrolls underneath:

FLOREAT HOVA

Bronze plaque to south face:

IN THE YEAR
1912
THE INHABITANTS
OF BRIGHTON AND HOVE
PROVIDED A HOME FOR
THE QUEEN'S NURSES
AND ERECTED THIS MON-
UMENT IN MEMORY OF
KING EDWARD VII
AND AS A TESTIMONYOF
THEIR ENDURING LOYALTY

Bronze plaque on east face:

IN DEO FIDEMUS

back to top

Classification

Categories:Commemorative, Sculptural, Free Standing
Object type1:Statue
Object type2:Sculpture
Object type3:Shaft
     Object subtype1:Obelisk
Subject type1:Figurative
     Subject subtype1:Full-length
Subject type2:Allegorical
     Subject subtype1:Standing

back to top

Object Parts

Part 1:Statue
     Material:Bronze
     Height (cm):305
Part 2:Stepped base
     Material:Stancliffe Stone (Sandstone)
     Width (cm):777
     Depth (cm):777
Part 3:Pedestal
     Material:Stancliffe Stone (Sandstone)
     Height (cm):610

back to top

Object Condition

Overall condition:Good
Risk assessment:No known risk
Condition 1 of type:Structural
     Condition 1: Broken or missing parts
     More details:Surrounding railings badly corroded with parts missing.
Condition 2 of type:Surface
     Condition 1: Bird Guano
     Condition 2: Corrosion, Deterioration
     More details:Some corrosion evident to the pedestal
Condition 3 of type:Vandalism
     Condition 1: Graffiti
     More details:Red paint on base of statue
Date of on-site inspection:17/03/2003

back to top

History

History:A memorial to Edward VII that marks the boundary between Hove and Brighton. It depicts an angel, representing peace, holding an orb and an olive branch. It is in fact a memorial to Edward VII, 'The Peacemaker'. He convalesced several times in Brighton. In 1910 Brighton Council approached Hove Council concerning a memorial to the late King. Each town chose a committee including each Mayor and Town Clerk. They met on Wednesday 2 November 1910 and jointly decided that the money raised from public subscription would be spent on providing a home for the Queens Nurses and on a memorial to be erected on the border of both towns. A sum of £1800 was paid to the Queens Nurses towards their new headquarters in Wellington Road and £900 was spent on the memorial. It was designed by Newbury Trent and bears the arms of both Brighton and Hove boroughs. The statue was unveiled by the Duke of Norfolk in October 1912. Part of the memorial fund raised jointly by the two Boroughs was devoted to the provision of a Home for the Queens Nurses, in Wellington Road, Brighton. For a year before the erection of the statue, a wooden model of it stood in its place. The site of the statue itself is actually in Brighton, but the responsibility of maintaining it is Hove's. The memorial cost £1000 when constructed. Newbury Trent got the commission by winning a competition in which their were eighteen submissions from artists and firms.

The memorial was unveiled by The Duke of Norfolk, E.M., K.G., Lord Lieutenant of Sussex.
A memorial had been proposed some years after the King’s death because of the relationship that he had had with particularly Brighton, spending much time in the town, particularly in his last few years alive. Public subscription across the two Boroughs had ensured that a permanent monument could be built in addition to something for the ‘suffering poor’. The monument was therefore erected to straddle the border between the two Boroughs.
Dense crowds had gathered in glorious weather both at the Peace Memorial and also in Wellington Road where the Duke was opening the new central Home of the Queen’s Nurses, that the memorial fund had also paid for.
‘The statue is a noble and striking winged figure standing on a globe representing the universe. Under the globe there is an indication of the waters under the earth, and the dolphins which support it represent the fishes that are in the waters. In the uplifted right hand the figure holds an olive branch and in the other an emblem of eternity. The whole stands on a pedestal of Stancliffe stone, on the four faces of which are bronze panels. The front panel bears a relief portrait of the King, the side panels the Arms of Brighton and Hove respectively…The height of the monument is 27 feet, and that of the figure about ten feet. Some 35 tons of the finest Stancliffe stone were used in the construction of the base and pedestal, and the ground space occupied by the monument is 25 feet 6 inches square and the height over all is 30 feet.’
The Mayor and Mayoress of Brighton gave a private luncheon party at Preston Manor prior to the ceremony. Mayors and dignitaries of both Brighton and Hove Boroughs attended the unveiling. ‘O God Our Help in Ages Past’ was sung followed by a dedicatory prayer and Benediction by the Bishop of Chichester. Then the Duke was asked to unveil the monument. Speeches followed and then the party made their way to Wellington Road where the Duke opened the new Queen Alexandra Homes. A large stone tablet was unveiled with the inscription:
Brighton and Hove / Home for Queen’s Nurses / This Home was provided / By the Inhabitants of / Brighton and Hove / In memory of / King Edward VII / And was Opened by / The Duke of Norfolk, E.M., K.G., / Lord Lieutenant of the County, / On the / 12th October, 1912.
(Brighton Gazette. 16 October 1912.)

‘The monument takes the form of a beautiful winged figure of Peace which lifts itself in bronze from a great pedestal of Stancliffe stone or Derbyshire granite... With one hand the figure stretches forth an olive branch, the symbol of peace; while the other bears the orb; the emblem of sovereignty’. The monument cost approximately £1000. The home for the Queens Nurses at 14 Wellington Road, Brighton cost a further £4000. A substantial donation to the fund had been made by Mr. Arthur Wagg, J.P.
The ceremony opened with the singing of ‘O God Our Help in Ages Past’ but ‘Unfortunately the effect was sadly marred by the lack of stage management so far as the accompaniment was concerned; the Artillery Band went full steam ahead without any regard for the singers’.
In his dedication, the Bishop of Chichester referred to ‘...the cordiality with which Brighton and Hove had co-operated in regard to this memorial. The two adjacent Boroughs, he observed, had not always in the past seen eye to eye in matters which concerned them both. But it appears that this was the occasion for the forgetting of ancient differences and the healing of ancient sores; and the representatives of Brighton were met with the greatest cordiality by the Mayor and the Committee of Hove’.
The builders of the memorial were Messrs. Kirkpatrick Bros. of Manchester.
The bronzework was cast by Mr. A. B. Burton of Thames Ditton who cast the bronzework of the Queen Victoria Memorial at Buckingham Palace.
‘Just previous to the ceremony, as the Duke and his escort were proceeding along King’s Road, an unfortunate incident occurred. P.C. Ellis was preceeding the escort, when, near the old Alhambra, his horse slipped and fell, pinning the rider’s right leg beneath it. As the constable was in considerable pain, he was put into a taxicab and driven to the Royal Sussex Hospital. There it was ascertained that, although no bones were broken, the right foot was badly bruised’.
(Brighton Herald. 19 October 1912.)
Hard archive file:Yes

back to top

References

Source 1 :
     Title:'Open Air Statues and Memorials' - New Pamphlet Box 17 (typed paper, 2 pages)
     Type:Archive
     Location:Brighton History Centre
     Catalogue reference:JLR 3/5/87

Source 2 :
     Title:'A Pictorial anGuide to Brighton and Hove, the South Downs, Shoreham, Bramber, Lewes, Newhaven etc.'
     Type:Book
     Edition:11th
     Date:00/00/1837
     Page:57
     Publisher:Ward Lock & Co. Ltd. London..


Further information:
http://www.mybrightonandhove.org.uk/page_id__6169_path__0p115p195p876p.aspx

back to top

Photographs





Date: 19/04/2007
Author: Anthony McIntosh
Copyright: Creative Commons




Date: 19/04/2007
Author: Anthony McIntosh
Copyright: Creative Commons




Date: 19/04/2007
Author: Anthony McIntosh
Copyright: Creative Commons




Date: 19/04/2007
Author: Anthony McIntosh
Copyright: Creative Commons

back to top