Object Details

Chatfield Drinking Fountain

Browse information by:
Location
Makers
General Information
Classification
Object Parts
Object Condition
History
References
Photographs

Download this information in PDF

See 3D model



Author: Anthony McIntosh
Copyright for Photograph:

Creative Commons

Location

Street:Richmond Place
Town:Brighton
Parish:Brighton
Council:Brighton & Hove City Council
County:East Sussex
Postcode:BN1/BN2
Location on Google Map
Object setting:Road or Wayside
Access is:Public
Location note:Junction with St. Georges Place in front of St. Peters Church
In the AZ book:East Sussex
Page:162
Grid reference:F6
The A-Z books used are A-Z East Sussex and A-Z West Sussex (Editions 1A 2005). Geographers' A-Z Map Company Ltd. Sevenoaks.
Previous location:Once stood in the centre of the road

back to top

Makers

Name : Robert Keirle
     Role:Architect

back to top

General Information

Commissioned by: Frederick Chatfield
Installation date:1871
Unveiling date:1871
Work is:Extant
Owner custodian:Brighton & Hove City Council
Object listing:Grade II: of special interest warranting every effort to preserve them
Listing date:20/08/1971
Description:Obelisk and drinking fountain in granite. Notionally circular base divided into two broad segments, originally drinking troughs for animals, and two narrow segments which give access to the two raised drinking basins for humans. Octagonal base tapering to a square. Above this rises the needle of the obelisk which has a narrow chamfered band near its base and a broader plain band a little above that; about half-way up the needle are 8-pointed stars cut in the stone work, one on the north and one on the south side. Surmounting the obelisk there was originally a decorative wrought iron spire.
Inscription:South side, bronze shield with heraldic device and raised letters underneath:

THIS:FOUNTAIN
WAS:ERECTED:AND:PRESENTED:TO
THE:TOWN:BY
FREDERICK:CHATFIELD:ESQR.
1871.

Carved into the stone underneath the bronze shield:

ALL BEASTS OF THE FIELD DRINK THEREOF
PSALM CIV

North side, bronze shield with Borough arms and raised letters underneath:

RICHARD:MALLAM:WEBB:ESQR.
MAYOR:OF:BRIGHTON.
ROBERT:KEIRLE:ESQR.
ARCHITECT.

back to top

Classification

Categories:Functional, Free Standing
Object type1:Shaft
     Object subtype1:Obelisk
Object type2:Fountain
     Object subtype1:Drinking Fountain
Subject type1:Non-figurative

back to top

Object Parts

Part 1:Obelisk & fountain
     Material:Granite

back to top

Object Condition

Overall condition:Good
Risk assessment:No known risk
Date of on-site inspection:17/04/2007

back to top

History

History:Presented to the town by Frederick Chatfield for both human and animal use. Now listed, the obelisk bears the borough arms and the drinking pools are now used for floral displays. It was designed by Robert Keirle and inaugurated by the mayor, Richard Webb, in 1871; it originally stood in an isolated position in the middle of the road.
Hard archive file:Yes

back to top

References


back to top

Photographs





Date: 14/04/2007
Author: Anthony McIntosh
Copyright: Creative Commons




Date: 14/04/2007
Author: Anthony McIntosh
Copyright: Creative Commons




Date: 14/04/2007
Author: Anthony McIntosh
Copyright: Creative Commons




Date: 14/04/2007
Author: Anthony McIntosh
Copyright: Creative Commons

back to top