Object Details

Queens Park Clock Tower

Browse information by:
Location
Makers
General Information
Classification
Object Parts
Object Condition
History
References
Photographs

Download this information in PDF

See 3D model



Author: Anthony McIntosh
Copyright for Photograph:

Creative Commons

Location

Street:East Drive
Town:Brighton
Parish:Brighton
Council:Brighton & Hove City Council
County:East Sussex
Postcode:BN2
Location on Google Map
Object setting:Public Park
Access is:Public
Location note:In Queens Park to the West of East Drive
In the AZ book:East Sussex
Page:132
Grid reference:D8
The A-Z books used are A-Z East Sussex and A-Z West Sussex (Editions 1A 2005). Geographers' A-Z Map Company Ltd. Sevenoaks.

back to top

Makers

Name : Llewellyn E. Williams
     Role:Architect

back to top

General Information

Commissioned by: William Godleye
Installation date:1915
Unveiling date:24/06/1915
Work is:Extant
Owner custodian:Brighton & Hove City Council
Object listing:Grade II: of special interest warranting every effort to preserve them
Listing date:26/08/1999
Description:Ground floor and dressings in Portland stone, the rest red brick in English bond. Roof of copper. Tower of 3 stages, square in plan. Ground floor has plain stone dado and heavily rusticated masonry, terminating in a storey band; one flat-arched entrance in north west face. The middle stage begins with a smooth band of stone before changing to red brick; small camber-arched windows to each face; white stone quoins to projecting cornice between second and third stage. Stone dado to top stage pierced by bell louvres set in segmental-arched openings; corners chamfer back to make octagon, an urn marks the set back of each corner; the 8-sided upper stage has Tuscan corner pilasters with entablature above. Clock face in alternating segments of the octagon. 8-sided, concave roof capped by ball finial. Above the entrance, facing north west and set under its entablature, is a bronze plaque., Below inscription is the Borough crest. On the south east face of the ground floor is a smaller bronze plaque.
Signatures:Illegible carved signature and date, at the base, south east face.
Inscription:Bronze plaque with raised letters above the door on north west face:

THIS CLOCK TOWER WAS
PROVIDED OUT OF MONEYS
BEQUEATHED FOR THE PURPOSE
TO THE CORPORATION OF BRIGHTON
BY THE LATE WILLIAM GODLEYE, ESQ.OF THIS
TOWN AND WAS DEDICATED
TO THE PUBLIC USE ON THE
24TH DAY OF
JUNE, 1915

Bronze plaque with raised letters on south east face:

PARKS COMMITTEE 1913-14-15 / ALDERMAN J. L. OTTER, MAYOR. / ALDERMAN E.J.BUTT-THOMPSON COUNCILLOR H.E.HARDY COUNCILLOR J.SMITH / “ J. STRINGER “ R. MAJOR / “. H. TESTER “ A. MARTIN “ B. N. SOUTHALL / COUNCILLOR T.J. BRAYBON “ J. W. PENFOLD CHAIRMAN 1914-15 “ A.L.B.TINDALL / “ W. BROADBRIDGE / “ A.J.SMITH / LLEWELLYN E. WILLIAMS ARIBA ARCHITECT HUGO TALBOT TOWN CLERK

back to top

Classification

Categories:Functional, Free Standing, Commemorative, Architectural
Object type1:Building
     Object subtype1:Clock tower
Subject type1:Non-figurative

back to top

Object Parts

Part 1:Top section
     Material:Red brick with copper dome
     Height (cm):1040
     Width (cm):300
     Depth (cm):300
Part 2:Base with five steps leading up
     Material:Brick inlaid pattern in retaining wall
     Height (cm):40
     Width (cm):625
     Depth (cm):625
Part 3:Lower section of tower
     Material:Portland stone
     Height (cm):260
     Width (cm):340
     Depth (cm):340

back to top

Object Condition

Overall condition:Good
Risk assessment:No known risk
Date of on-site inspection:01/02/2008

back to top

History

History:In 1825 Brighton solicitor William Attree acquired land north of Eastern Road—already known as Brighton Park—to build a residential park surrounded by detached villas, inspired by Regent's Park in London. He commissioned architect Charles Barry to design it. It was re named after Queen Adelaide, consort of William IV, who patronised the German Spa opened in 1825 by Dr F A A Struve of Dresden at the south end of the park, which remained in operation until 1886 when it continued as a mineral water plant until 1960. On the site now stands the Royal Spa Nursery school. Attree's plan never materialised and the surrounding housing is of later date. At the north-west corner is Pennant Lodge, once the home of Charles Freshfield. Also to the north-west of the park itself, on Queen's Park Road, stands the 'Pepper pot' (also called the 'Pepper box'). Originally built as a water tower, later designated an observatory, it was later a public convenience. The park itself, without the houses but including the Spa and the Pepper pot, was bought by the Race Stand Trustees in 1890 for £13,500 and donated to the town.
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Queen's_Park,_Brighton 22/01/2008)

Formally opened to the public on 10 August 1892.. Twenty years later, a local tradesmen, William Godleye, left a £1,000 for a clock tower to be built - because, when visiting the park, he'd always been pestered by children asking him the time.
Hard archive file:No

back to top

References


back to top

Photographs





Date: 01/02/2008
Author: Anthony McIntosh
Copyright: Creative Commons




Date: 01/02/2008
Author: Anthony McIntosh
Copyright: Creative Commons




Date: 01/02/2008
Author: Anthony McIntosh
Copyright: Creative Commons




Date: 01/02/2008
Author: Anthony McIntosh
Copyright: Creative Commons




Date: 01/02/2008
Author: Anthony McIntosh
Copyright: Creative Commons




Date: 01/02/2008
Author: Anthony McIntosh
Copyright: Creative Commons




Date: 01/02/2008
Author: Anthony McIntosh
Copyright: Creative Commons




Date: 01/02/2008
Author: Anthony McIntosh
Copyright: Creative Commons




Date: 01/02/2008
Author: Anthony McIntosh
Copyright: Creative Commons




Date: 01/02/2008
Author: Anthony McIntosh
Copyright: Creative Commons




Date: 01/02/2008
Author: Anthony McIntosh
Copyright: Creative Commons




Date: 01/02/2008
Author: Anthony McIntosh
Copyright: Creative Commons




Date: 01/02/2008
Author: Anthony McIntosh
Copyright: Creative Commons




Date: 01/02/2008
Author: Anthony McIntosh
Copyright: Creative Commons




Date: 01/02/2008
Author: Anthony McIntosh
Copyright: Creative Commons




Date: 01/02/2008
Author: Anthony McIntosh
Copyright: Creative Commons




Date: 01/02/2008
Author: Anthony McIntosh
Copyright: Creative Commons




Date: 01/02/2008
Author: Anthony McIntosh
Copyright: Creative Commons

back to top