Object Details

Monument to Rev. Edward Cullin

Browse information by:
Location
Makers
General Information
Classification
Object Parts
Object Condition
History
References
Photographs

Download this information in PDF

See 3D model


No Picture

Location

Street:Bristol Road
Town:Brighton
Parish:Brighton
Council:Brighton & Hove City Council
County:East Sussex
Postcode:BN1
Location on Google Map
Object setting:Inside building
and in:Religious
Access is:Public
Location note:Inside St. John the Baptist Church
In the AZ book:East Sussex
Page:132
Grid reference:D9
The A-Z books used are A-Z East Sussex and A-Z West Sussex (Editions 1A 2005). Geographers' A-Z Map Company Ltd. Sevenoaks.

back to top

Makers

Name : John Edward Carew
     Role:Sculptor

back to top

General Information

Construction period:1850
Work is:Extant
Building listing:II*
Listing date:13/10/1952
Description:Relief with angels's head and foliage surmointed by a portrait bust in relief, topped by gilded chalice and cross set on a cushion with gilded tassles. The surround to the monument is painted black.
Signatures:Right hand side, half way down:
JE CAREW SCULPTOR
Inscription:Underneath the portrait relief:

PRAY FOR THE SOUL OF
THE REVEREND EDWARD CULLIN
UPWARDS OF THIRTY YEARS
PASTOR OF THIS CONGREGATION:
WHOSE INFLUENCE AND EXERTIONS
PROCURED THE ERECTION OF
THIS CHAPEL:
WHOSE FRUGALITY AND SELF DENIAL
PROVIDED RESOURCES FOR
A SCHOOL FOR THE POOR;
WHOSE LIFE TRULY EXEMPLIFIED
THE LESSONS WHICH HE TAUGHT.

HE WAS BORN AT TRALEE IN IRELAND, JULY 8, 1776
HE DIED AT BRIGHTON, MARCH 5, 1850,
IN THE 74TH YEAR OF HIS AGE.
AND THE 40TH OF HIS PRIESTHOOD.

MAY HIS SOUL REST IN PEACE

back to top

Classification

Categories:Sculptural, Religious, Funerary, Commemorative
Object type1:Sculpture
Object type2:Relief
Subject type1:Figurative
     Subject subtype1:Bust
Subject type2:Portrait

back to top

Object Parts

Part 1:Surround
     Material:Stone - painted black
Part 2:Memorial
     Material:Stone
     Height (cm):245
     Width (cm):135

back to top

Object Condition

Overall condition:Good
Risk assessment:No known risk
Date of on-site inspection:31/03/2005

back to top

History

History:The Roman Catholic Church of St John the Baptist was designed and built between 1832 and 1835 by William Hallett with sculpture by John Carew. The east end was extended by 60 feet in 1875 to designs by Gilbert Robert Blount with further additions between 1887 and 1890. Wall decorations were carried out by by Nathaniel Hubert Westlake from 1890 to 1921. The baptistery, finished in 1889 and entered through a round diaphragm arch, contains the stone, low-relief sculpture of St John the Baptist and Christ. executed by Carew in c1835, which was the original altar piece.
In the south wall next to the organ gallery, monument to Maria Fitzherbert (1756-1837), the Catholic widow who was married to the Prince of Wales in 1783 and who was disowned by the Prince Regent in 1811, although she continued to frequent Brighton. The monument shows her as widow with the Lamp of Memory and kneeling before the broken gospels, assuming the form either of Fidelity or Religion. She is wearing 3 wedding rings as Catholic ecclesiastical law requires. She was patroness of this congregation. In the same position on the north wall, a memorial to the Rev. Edward Cullin (1776-1850), who built the church. HISTORICAL NOTE: Hallett based his design closely on the Catholic church of St Mary, Moorfields, London, completed by the architect John Newman between 1817 and 1820. In the late 1880s, designs for a complete remodelling of the church in a Romanesque/Italian Renaissance style were made by SJ Nicholl; these were shown at the Royal Academy in 1887 and published in ''The Builder'' for 21 May, 1887 and 1 September, 1888.
(Pugh T: The Church of Saint John the Baptist, Brighton 1835-1985: Hove: 1985-: 11-36).
Hard archive file:Yes

back to top

References


back to top

Photographs


back to top