Object Details

Monument to Mrs. Fitzherbert

Browse information by:
Location
Makers
General Information
Classification
Object Parts
Object Condition
History
References
Photographs

Download this information in PDF

See 3D model



Author: Anthony McIntosh
Copyright for Photograph:

Creative Commons

Location

Street:Bristol Road
Town:Brighton
Parish:Brighton
Council:Brighton & Hove City Council
County:East Sussex
Postcode:BN1
Location on Google Map
Object setting:Inside building
and in:Religious
Access is:Public
Location note:Inside St. John the Baptist Church
In the AZ book:East Sussex
Page:132
Grid reference:D9
The A-Z books used are A-Z East Sussex and A-Z West Sussex (Editions 1A 2005). Geographers' A-Z Map Company Ltd. Sevenoaks.

back to top

Makers

Name : John Edward Carew
     Role:Sculptor

back to top

General Information

Construction period:1837
Work is:Extant
Building listing:II*
Listing date:13/10/1952
Description:The monument shows Mrs. Fitzherbert as widow with the Lamp of Memory and kneeling before the broken gospels, assuming the form either of Fidelity or Religion. She is wearing 3 wedding rings as Catholic ecclesiastical law requires.
Signatures:J.E. CAREW / SCULPTOR 1837
Inscription:Base of sculptural relief:

IN A VAULT NEAR THIS SPOT ARE DEPOSITED
THE REMAINS OF
MARIA FITZHERBERT
SHE WAS BORN ON THE XXVI OF JULY MDCCLVI
ANDEXPIRED AT BRIGHTON ON THE XXVII OF MARCH
MDCCCXXXVII.
ONE TO WHOM SHE WAS MORE THAN A PARENT HAS PLACED
THIS MONUMENT TO HER REVERED AND BELOVEDMEMORY
AS AN HUMBLE THOUGH FEEBLE TRIBUTE OF HER EVERLASTING
GRATITUDE AND AFFECTION
R.I.P.

On grey marble background:

In loving remembrance of our dear mother, Mary Seymour, (Honble Mrs. G.L.D Damer) the adopted child of Mrs. Fitzherbert, / who placed this pious memorial of affection and gratitude here in 1837. She died in 1848. / Her only surviving children Blanche, Haygarth and Constance Leslie, place this record 1910.

On book:

'IT IS A MORE
BLESSED THING
TO GIVE THAN
TO RECEIVE'

ACTS.C.XX.V3

back to top

Classification

Categories:Sculptural, Religious, Funerary, Commemorative
Object type1:Relief
Subject type1:Figurative
     Subject subtype1:Full-length

back to top

Object Parts

Part 1:Background
     Material:Grey marble
     Height (cm):305
     Width (cm):135
Part 2:Sculpture
     Material:White marble and gilding
     Height (cm):274
     Width (cm):122

back to top

Object Condition

Overall condition:Good
Risk assessment:No known risk
Date of on-site inspection:31/03/2005

back to top

History

History:The Roman Catholic Church of St John the Baptist was designed and built between 1832 and 1835 by William Hallett with sculpture by John Carew. The east end was extended by 60 feet in 1875 to designs by Gilbert Robert Blount with further additions between 1887 and 1890. Wall decorations were carried out by by Nathaniel Hubert Westlake from 1890 to 1921. The baptistery, finished in 1889 and entered through a round diaphragm arch, contains the stone, low-relief sculpture of St John the Baptist and Christ. executed by Carew in c1835, which was the original altar piece.
In the south wall next to the organ gallery, monument to Maria Fitzherbert (1756-1837), the Catholic widow who was married to the Prince of Wales in 1783 and who was disowned by the Prince Regent in 1811, although she continued to frequent Brighton. The monument shows her as widow with the Lamp of Memory and kneeling before the broken gospels, assuming the form either of Fidelity or Religion. She is wearing 3 wedding rings as Catholic ecclesiastical law requires. She was patroness of this congregation. In the same position on the north wall, a memorial to the Rev. Edward Cullin (1776-1850), who built the church. HISTORICAL NOTE: Hallett based his design closely on the Catholic church of St Mary, Moorfields, London, completed by the architect John Newman between 1817 and 1820. In the late 1880s, designs for a complete remodelling of the church in a Romanesque/Italian Renaissance style were made by SJ Nicholl; these were shown at the Royal Academy in 1887 and published in ''The Builder'' for 21 May, 1887 and 1 September, 1888.
(Pugh T: The Church of Saint John the Baptist, Brighton 1835-1985: Hove: 1985-: 11-36).
Hard archive file:Yes

back to top

References


back to top

Photographs





Author: Anthony McIntosh
Copyright: Creative Commons




Author: Anthony McIntosh
Copyright: Creative Commons




Author: Anthony McIntosh
Copyright: Creative Commons

back to top