Object Details

Ceres

Browse information by:
Location
Makers
General Information
Classification
Object Parts
Object Condition
History
References
Photographs

Download this information in PDF

See 3D model



Author: Anthony McIntosh
Copyright for Photograph:

Creative Commons

Location

Street:Church Street
Town:Brighton
Parish:Brighton
Council:Brighton & Hove City Council
County:East Sussex
Postcode:BN1
Location on Google Map
Object setting:On building
Access is:Public
Location note:Above the entrance to The Corn Exchange
In the AZ book:East Sussex
Page:162
Grid reference:E7
The A-Z books used are A-Z East Sussex and A-Z West Sussex (Editions 1A 2005). Geographers' A-Z Map Company Ltd. Sevenoaks.
OS Reference:TQ3104

back to top

Makers

Name : James Woodford
     Role:Sculptor
Name : Robert Atkinson
     Role:Architect

back to top

General Information

Construction period:1934
Installation date:1934
Work is:Extant
Owner custodian:Brighton & Hove City Council
Building listing:II
Listing date:13/10/1952
Description:Attached to the wall centrally of the tympanum that forms a feature of the Church Street entrance to the Corn Exchange. The sculpture of the Goddess Ceres is the central figure placed on a vesica piscis and assumes an Asian posture and aspect. It is surrounded on both sides by yellowish brown flying and trumpeting angels on clouds against a blue sky.
Iconographical description:Ceres was the Roman Goddess of agriculture and grain. She was the Roman counterpart of Demeter. The word 'cereal' is derived from her name.

back to top

Classification

Categories:Sculptural, Architectural
Object type1:Statue
Object type2:Sculpture
Subject type1:Figurative
     Subject subtype1:Standing
Subject type2:Mythological
     Subject subtype1:Full-length

back to top

Object Parts

Part 1:Whole sculpture including angels
     Material:Painted yellow/brown terracotta
     Height (cm):230
     Width (cm):480
Part 2:Ceres (including vesica piscis)
     Material:Painted gold terracotta
     Height (cm):230
     Width (cm):160

back to top

Object Condition

Overall condition:Good
Risk assessment:No known risk
Date of on-site inspection:30/05/2007

back to top

History

History:The Corn Exchange was built in 1803 – 1808 by William Porden. It was originally a riding school for the Prince of Wales and forms the west wing of The Dome (originally the stables). It is now a grade I listed building. It acquired the name ‘Corn Exchange’ on 1 October 1868 when the Corn Market transferred there from the King & Queen Inn. It was a military hospital in WWI. After the war it became an exhibition and function venue. A ‘new’ entrance was made in 1934 and other alterations done by Robert Atkinson.
Hard archive file:Yes

back to top

References

Source 1 :
     Title:'The Architect and Building News' (Supplement)
     Article:'Canopy at The Corn Exchange, Brighton'
     Type:Journal
     Date:18/01/1935
     Page:282

Source 2 :
     Title:'The Architect and Building News'
     Type:Journal
     Date:11/01/1935
     Page:66

Source 3 :
     Title:'A Dictionary of Mythologies'
     Type:Book
     Author:Shapiro, Max S and Hendricks, Rhoda A.
     Date:00/00/1981
     Page:41-42
     Publisher:Granada Publishing Ltd.. St. Albans.


back to top

Photographs





Date: 30/05/2007
Author: Anthony McIntosh
Copyright: Creative Commons




Date: 30/05/2007
Author: Anthony McIntosh
Copyright: Creative Commons




Date: 30/05/2007
Author: Anthony McIntosh
Copyright: Creative Commons




Date: 30/05/2007
Author: Anthony McIntosh
Copyright: Creative Commons

back to top