Object Details

Royal Sussex Memorial - The Bugler

Browse information by:
Location
Makers
General Information
Classification
Object Parts
Object Condition
History
References
Photographs

Download this information in PDF

See 3D model



Author: Anthony McIntosh
Copyright for Photograph:

Creative Commons

Location

Street:Kings Road
Town:Brighton
Parish:Brighton
Council:Brighton & Hove City Council
County:East Sussex
Postcode:BN1
Location on Google Map
Object setting:Garden
and in:Road or Wayside
Access is:Public
Location note:South end of Regency Square
In the AZ book:East Sussex
Page:162
Grid reference:B8
The A-Z books used are A-Z East Sussex and A-Z West Sussex (Editions 1A 2005). Geographers' A-Z Map Company Ltd. Sevenoaks.
OS Reference:TQ3004

back to top

Makers

Name : John W. Simpson
     Role:Architect
Name : Walter Gilbert
     Role:Metal worker
Name : Charles L. Hartwell
     Role:Sculptor
Company/Group :B&W Bennett, Lewes Road, Brighton
     Role:Builder

back to top

General Information

Unveiling date:29/10/1904
Work is:Extant
Owner custodian:Brighton & Hove City Council
Object listing:Grade II: of special interest warranting every effort to preserve them
Listing date:13/10/1952
Description:A bronze figure of a bugler, left leg raised on rocks, in battle dress, with great coat open, no hat. Represented in the act of sounding a bugle. Surrounding him are four gun shells. Mounted on a chamfered stone plinth surmounted by pediments, tryglyphs and metopes. Set in ten steps at the entrance to the garden. Chamfered edges to the top of the plinth with mortar shell cases set at each corner.
Signatures:Base of sculpture, east face:
C. HARTWELL 1904
Inscription:On the front of the plinth, bronze regimental badge and inscription in bronze letters:

IN MEMORY

OF THE OFFICERS NON
COMMISSIONED OFFRS
AND MEN

OF THE ROYAL SUSSEX
REGIMENT WHO FELL
IN SOUTH AFRICA
1900 - 1902

On the front of the base in bronze lettering:

LOUISBURG
QUEBEC 1759
MAIDA
EGYPT 1882
NILE 1884-5
ABU KLEA

Front of base in bronze lettering with an olive wreath:

1914-18 1939-45

Right hand side of base, bronze oval plaque surrounded by laurel leaves, inscribed, followed by names of the dead:

FIRST
BATTALION
ACTIVE SERVICE
VOLUNTEER COYS.

On the back of the base, large bronze plaque inscribed, followed by names of the dead:

FIRST
BATTALION

On left of the base, oval bronze plaque, surrounded by a laurel wreath and the regimental badge, inscribed, followed by names of the dead:

THIRD
BATTALION

back to top

Classification

Categories:Sculptural, Military, Free Standing, Commemorative
Object type1:Sculpture
Object type2:Shaft
     Object subtype1:Obelisk
Object type3:War memorial
     Object subtype1:South Afican/Boer
Subject type1:Figurative
     Subject subtype1:Full-length

back to top

Object Parts

Part 1:Plaques
     Material:Bronze
Part 2:Base
     Material:Portland stone
Part 3:Statue
     Material:Bronze
     Height (cm):365
Part 4:Obelisk
     Material:Stone
     Height (cm):548

back to top

Object Condition

Overall condition:Good
Risk assessment:No known risk
Condition 1 of type:Surface
     Condition 1: Corrosion, Deterioration
     More details:Four mortar shell cases at the top corners of the plinth are corroded.
Condition 2 of type:Structural
     Condition 1: Replaced parts
     More details:Wreath on front of base repaired.
Date of on-site inspection:31/01/2005

back to top

History

History:The War Memorial in Regency Square was erected to commemorate the 152 soldiers of the Royal Sussex Regiment who died between 1900-1902 in the Boer War. It was unveiled on October 29th 1904 by the Marquess of Abergavenny, Lord Lieutenant of Sussex. The memorial cost £1,400 which was raised by public subscription and Regimental funds, which also provided additional benefits for the men who served. The bronze statue, modelled on a sergeant sounding the charge, is based on a real incident that took place during the South African campaign at Doornkop. The pedestal is surmounted by four artillery shells, which cost 6s 7d (33p) each. Other inscriptions commemorated those in the regiment who died in the two World Wars as well as at Quebec and Louisberg in 1759 and in Egypt in the 1880s.

'With all the pomp and circumstance attending a military ceremony in the sunshine, the monument erected opposite the West Pier, brighton, to the memory of soldiers of the Royal Sussex Regiment who fell in the South African War, was unveiled on Saturday by the Marquis of Abergavenny. For the time being Regency Square, at the foot of which the statue stands, was fairly under a miltary occupation. The roadways about the square resounded with the tramp of marching men; on the wide square of green, men in red and men in khaki manoeuvered; excited officers - why do officers always get excited? - were dashing about on horseback; bugles sounded, drums beat; and in the bright sunshine everything made a brave show. The balconies and windows in the square - many decorated - had their groups of spectators, and away from the privileged enclosures, themselves filled with a fashionable throng, stretched enormous crowds of the general sightseers. One would have to go back to Coronation times to remember a similar crowd in Brighton.
The platform in front of the memorial was filled with a brilliant gathering of uniformed officers of high rank. A dozen or more were resplendent in scarlet coats and lavish ornament of gold braid, with the accompaniments of trailing swords, clinking spurs, cocked hats, and waving plumes. Finest figure of them all, perhaps, was the Duke of Richmond and Gordon; his tall, soldierly form, the firm face with the grey moustache, make him a striking combination of the soldier and the aristocrat. The Duke of Norfolk was in khaki, from the peaked cap pulled down low over his bearded face to his immaculate riding boots. The Duke evidently keeps a good military tailor. Perhaps the most popular figure was the officer in full Scottish panoply of gorgeous plaid and tartan trousers, with enormous busby and long tails appended, - enough to provide a lady of fashion with a complete outfit of furs. The chief speech of the afternoon came from Colonel Donne, commanding the 35th Regimental District. The Colonel had previously drawn all eyes to himself by the magnificent show of medals that crowd his breast; his firm, heavyily moustached face reminds one strongly of Lord Kitchener. He proved a capital speaker, as, in sturdy, soldierly fashion, in a voice that carried a long distance, he spoke of the gallant deeds of the Sussex Regiment, drawing attention to the fact that it was composed almost entirely of Sussex men; and he told the story of the incident commemorated by the bronze statue of the bugler at the top of the monument. It was the Sergeant Bugler of the Royal Sussex Regiment who sounded the charge which resulted in the Sussex Regiment sweeping the Boers from their formidable position. This was on the very ground, Colonel Donne said, on which Jameson's force surrendered. He mentioned that between them the three Battalions of the Royal Sussex Regiment had subscribed £803 towards the erection of the monument to those152 of their comrades whose graves were scattered about South Africa.'
The Marquis of Abergavenny then pulled the cord allowing the red drapery to fall away. The Last Post was sounded followed by prayers from the Vicar of Brighton, Canon Hoskyns. Speeches followed by the Marquis of Abergavenny, the Mayor, the Bishop of Chichester, the Duke of Richmond and Gordon, Colonel Campion and the Duke of Norfolk.
(Brighton Herald. Saturday 5 November 1904. p7)

Charles L. Hartwell was a member of the Bromsgrove Guild
Hard archive file:Yes

back to top

References

Source 1 :
     Title:Oxford Art Journal
     Article:'Remnants of patriotism: the commemorative representation of the greatcoat after the First World War'
     Type:Journal
     Author:Moriarty, Catherine
     Date:00/00/2004
     Page:291-309
     Volume:27
     Volume:03

Source 2 :
     Title:Brighton Herald
     Type:Newspaper
     Date:05/11/1904
     Page:7

Source 3 :
     Title:'Open Air Statues and Memorials' - New Pamphlet Box 17 (typed paper, 2 pages)
     Type:Archive
     Location:Brighton History Centre
     Catalogue reference:JLR 6/5/87


Further information:
http://www.mybrightonandhove.org.uk/page_id__6366.aspx

back to top

Photographs





Date: 19/04/2007
Author: Anthony McIntosh
Copyright: Creative Commons




Date: 19/04/2007
Author: Anthony McIntosh
Copyright: Creative Commons




Date: 19/04/2007
Author: Anthony McIntosh
Copyright: Creative Commons




Date: 19/04/2007
Author: Anthony McIntosh
Copyright: Creative Commons

back to top