Object Details

Eos

Browse information by:
Location
Makers
General Information
Classification
Object Parts
Object Condition
History
References
Photographs

Download this information in PDF

See 3D model



Author: Anthony McIntosh
Copyright for Photograph:

Creative Commons

Location

Street:Pashley Road
Town:Ticehurst
Parish:Ticehurst, Flimwell and Stonegate
Council:Rother District Council
County:East Sussex
Postcode:TN5 7HE
Location on Google Map
Object setting:Garden
Access is:Public
Location note:In the Victorian Greenhouse, Pashley Manor Gardens
In the AZ book:East Sussex
Page:42
Grid reference:C3
The A-Z books used are A-Z East Sussex and A-Z West Sussex (Editions 1A 2005). Geographers' A-Z Map Company Ltd. Sevenoaks.

back to top

Makers

Name : Neal French
     Role:Sculptor

back to top

General Information

Commissioned by: Purchased by Mr. & Mrs. James Sellick, Pashley Manor Gardens
Work is:Extant
Owner custodian:Mr. & Mrs. James Sellick, Pashley Manor Gardens
Object listing:Not listed
Description:A 'loose-featured' female figure with right arm extended around the back of the head and left arm extended over the top of the head.
Iconographical description:Eos is, in Greek mythology, the Titanic goddess of the dawn, who rose from her home at the edge of Oceanus, the Ocean that surrounds the world, to herald her brother Helios, the sun.

back to top

Classification

Categories:Sculptural, Free Standing
Object type1:Statue
Object type2:Sculpture
Subject type1:Figurative
     Subject subtype1:Standing
Subject type2:Mythological
     Subject subtype1:Standing

back to top

Object Parts

Part 1:Statue (including integral base)
     Material:Pressmoulded terracotta
     Height (cm):110
     Width (cm):38
     Depth (cm):26
Part 2:Plinth
     Material:Brick and stone
     Height (cm):25
     Width (cm):45
     Depth (cm):45

back to top

Object Condition

Overall condition:Good
Risk assessment:No known risk
Date of on-site inspection:18/09/2008

back to top

History

History:Mr and Mrs James Sellick are the owners and inhabitants of Pashley Manor. The house has a Tudor front built in 1550 by Sir Thomas May, and a Queen Anne rear added in 1720. It is timber framed and Grade I listed. It is set in 11 acres of award winning gardens. The estate can be traced back to 1262, when the de Passele family built a moated manor and held the estate until 1453, when it was sold to the forebears of Anne Boleyn who used it as a hunting lodge. It is believed that Anne Boleyn stayed here as a child. The Boleyn family held the manor until the execution of Anne. The present owners, Mr and Mrs Sellick have been developing and replanting the gardens, with the advice of Antony du Gard Pasley, since 1981 and opened the gardens to the public in 1992. Evidence of gardening at Pashley has been found from the 16th Century and the park contains oak trees that are over 500 years old.
(Pashley Manor Gardens guidebook & website)

back to top

References


back to top

Photographs





Author: Anthony McIntosh
Copyright: Creative Commons




Author: Anthony McIntosh
Copyright: Creative Commons




Author: Anthony McIntosh
Copyright: Creative Commons




Author: Anthony McIntosh
Copyright: Creative Commons

back to top