Object Details

Effigy of Anthony St. Leger of Binstead

Browse information by:
Location
Makers
General Information
Classification
Object Parts
Object Condition
History
References
Photographs

Download this information in PDF

See 3D model



Author: Anthony McIntosh
Copyright for Photograph:

Creative Commons

Location

Street:Church Hill
Town:Slindon
Parish:Slindon
Council:Arun District Council
County:West Sussex
Postcode:BN18
Location on Google Map
Object setting:Inside building
and in:Religious
Access is:Public
Location note:Church of St. Mary, in the south aisle next to the window
In the AZ book:West Sussex
Page:123
Grid reference:K9
The A-Z books used are A-Z East Sussex and A-Z West Sussex (Editions 1A 2005). Geographers' A-Z Map Company Ltd. Sevenoaks.
Previous location:Formerly in a recessed tomb in the chancel where the organ is now

back to top

Makers

Name : Unknown

back to top

General Information

Construction period:c1539
Installation date:1539
Work is:Extant
Owner custodian:Church of St. Mary, Slindon
Description:A wooden effigy of a man ling on a chest tomb. The effigy depicts a man in armour from the Wars of the Roses. The hands are on the chest, palms together in prayer. The head, with collar length hair, rests slightly to the right on a helmet. The whole tomb has around it a metal hearse.
Iconographical description:The armour is of the type used during the Wars of the Roses

back to top

Classification

Categories:Sculptural, Military, Funerary, Commemorative
Object type1:Statue
Subject type1:Figurative
Subject type2:Portrait

back to top

Object Parts

Part 1:Effigy
     Material:Oak
     Height (cm):40
     Width (cm):156
     Depth (cm):54
Part 2:Chest tomb
     Material:Stone
     Height (cm):90
     Width (cm):200
     Depth (cm):90

back to top

Object Condition

Overall condition:Good
Risk assessment:No known risk
Condition 1 of type:Structural
     Condition 1: Broken or missing parts
     Condition 2: Cracks, splits, breaks, holes
     More details:Tips of fingers missing. Crack down the front of the face and chest. Crack below elbow of right arm. Tip of shoe on left foot broken off.
Date of on-site inspection:26/08/2008

back to top

History

History:The effigy is that of Anthony St. Leger Esq. of Binstead who died in 1539 and who requested in his will to be interred in Slindon Parish Church. This is the only existing example of a wooden effigy in Sussex. The effigy was removed from its former site in the church when the organ chamber was relocated. A protective metal hearse was erected around the figure in 1990 to ensure security.
(St Mary's Church leaflet)

back to top

References


back to top

Photographs





Author: Anthony McIntosh
Copyright: Creative Commons




Author: Anthony McIntosh
Copyright: Creative Commons




Author: Anthony McIntosh
Copyright: Creative Commons




Author: Anthony McIntosh
Copyright: Creative Commons

back to top