Object Details

The Falconer

Browse information by:
Location
Makers
General Information
Classification
Object Parts
Object Condition
History
References
Photographs

Download this information in PDF

See 3D model



Author: Anthony McIntosh
Copyright for Photograph:

Creative Commons

Location

Street:Church Street / A283
Town:Petworth
Parish:Petworth
Council:Chichester District Council
County:West Sussex
Postcode:GU28
Location on Google Map
Object setting:Inside building
Access is:Public
Location note:Petworth House, The North Gallery, Square Bay
In the AZ book:West Sussex
Page:61
Grid reference:N9
The A-Z books used are A-Z East Sussex and A-Z West Sussex (Editions 1A 2005). Geographers' A-Z Map Company Ltd. Sevenoaks.
Previous location:Petworth House, The North Gallery, Central Corridor (moved after c.1865)
Previous location:Petworth House, The Audit Room (moved 1992)

back to top

Makers

Name : John Edward Carew
     Role:Sculptor

back to top

General Information

Commissioned by: George O’Brien Wyndham, 3rd Earl of Egremont (1751-1837)
Construction period:1827/8-9
Installation date:09/08/1827
Work is:Extant
Owner custodian:The National Trust (Petworth House)
Description:A falconer, naked apart from a loincloth and belt. Perched on his outstretched left arm and hand is a falcon. The falconer looks toward and beyond the bird. In his right hand, he holds the neck of a dead swan.
Iconographical description:Unlike Carew’s other ideal statues, it apparently has no literary or mythological source; it may originally have been intended for the Duke of St Albans, Grand Falconer of England.
Signatures:Carved catalogue number on base '102'.

back to top

Classification

Categories:Sculptural, Free Standing, Animal
Object type1:Statue
Object type2:Sculpture
Subject type1:Figurative
     Subject subtype1:Standing

back to top

Object Parts

Part 1:Circular pedestal
     Material:Wood (faux red veined marble)
     Height (cm):105
     Width (cm):80
     Depth (cm):80
Part 2:Statue
     Material:White marble
     Height (cm):227
     Width (cm):110
     Depth (cm):75

back to top

Object Condition

Condition 1 of type:Structural
     Condition 1: Broken or missing parts
     Condition 2: Cracks, splits, breaks, holes
     More details:Tip of swan’s beak missing and crack above the break.
Date of on-site inspection:27/06/2008

back to top

History

History:The North Gallery is one of the very few top-lit sculpture and picture galleries to survive from the early nineteenth century. It was extensively restored in 1991-3. The South corridor is the earliest part of the gallery, which was built between 1754 and 1763 to house the major part of the 2nd. Earl’s collection of antiques statuary. The top-lit Central Corridor was added to the gallery by the 3rd. Earl in 1824-5. At the same time work began on the final extension to the gallery, the Square Bay and the whole was finished in October 1827. The works were supervised by Thomas Upton, the Petworth Clerk of Works, and executed by his building yard. Advice was sought from at least three artists; the painter Thomas Philips and the sculptors Sir Francis Chantrey and John Edward Carew. The galleries are presently painted a dark red, restored to this colour during the 1991-3 restorations. The galleries had been this colour in 1873. Red (with green, the most traditional colour for picture galleries) was felt by Ruskin to accentuate the contours of sculpture, and it was known to have been used in ancient Rome as a foil to sculpture. The present sculpture arrangement (devised in 1991-3) was designed to restore, as far as possible that conceived by the 3rd. Earl. It was taken from a unique ground plan of the 3rd. Earl’s statue deployment drawn up in 1835 by H.W. Philips. Apart from the Flaxman, the Square Bay has become a gallery of works by the Irish sculptor J.E. Carew, many of which were placed here in 1835

According to Carew’s own testimony, it was certainly completed before his move from London to Brighton in 1831, and was installed at Petworth in 1829. Unlike Carew’s other ideal statues, it apparently has no literary or mythological source; it may originally have been intended for the Duke of St Albans, Grand Falconer of England. In 1835 it stood at the west end of the Central Corridor, was moved to the Audit Room after c.1865, and returned to the North Gallery in 1992.

back to top

References

Source 1 :
     Title:'Petworth House'
     Type:Book
     Author:Rowell, Christopher
     Publisher:The National Trust.


back to top

Photographs





Author: Anthony McIntosh
Copyright: Creative Commons




Author: Anthony McIntosh
Copyright: Creative Commons




Author: Anthony McIntosh
Copyright: Creative Commons




Author: Anthony McIntosh
Copyright: Creative Commons

back to top