Object Details

King and Queen

Browse information by:
Location
Makers
General Information
Classification
Object Parts
Object Condition
History
References
Photographs

Download this information in PDF

See 3D model



Author: Anthony McIntosh
Copyright for Photograph:

Creative Commons

Location

Street:14-16 Marlborough Place
Town:Brighton
Parish:Brighton
Council:Brighton & Hove City Council
County:East Sussex
Postcode:BN1
Location on Google Map
Object setting:On building
Access is:Public
Location note:Above the entrance to the King and Queen Inn
In the AZ book:East Sussex
Page:162
Grid reference:F7
The A-Z books used are A-Z East Sussex and A-Z West Sussex (Editions 1A 2005). Geographers' A-Z Map Company Ltd. Sevenoaks.

back to top

Makers

Company/Group :Clayton and Black
     Role:Builder
Company/Group :Heaton, Tabb & Company

back to top

General Information

Construction period:1931-1932
Work is:Extant
Owner custodian:King and Queen Inn
Description:Two platforms extend outwards from a large panelled window either side of the sign painted with 'KING AND QUEEN'. The window and platforms are placed over the entrance to the Inn. On the left hand platform stands a painted wooden statue of King Henry VIII in typical dress. Between his legs sits a bulldog. On the right hand platform stands a statue of Queen Anne Boleyn. At her feet sits a cat and in her raised right hand she holds an orb.

back to top

Classification

Categories:Sculptural, Commemorative
Object type1:Statue
Object type2:Sculpture
Subject type1:Figurative
     Subject subtype1:Standing
Subject type2:Portrait
     Subject subtype1:Group

back to top

Object Parts

Part 1:Henry VIII
     Material:Painted wood
Part 2:Anne Boleyn
     Material:Painted wood

back to top

Object Condition

Overall condition:Good
Risk assessment:No known risk
Condition 1 of type:Surface
     Condition 1: Corrosion, deterioration
     Condition 2: Abrasions, cracks, splits
     More details:Paint is flaking off all over both statues and general weather wearing to the wood has caused many cracks.
Date of on-site inspection:26/05/2008

back to top

History

History:‘In 1779, a farmhouse on the western edge of the Steine was granted a licence to serve alcohol to the local agricultural community. It’s popularity increased when the cricket matches on the level were instituted, and it later prospered from an illicit trade with the neighbouring army barracks through a secret rear hatch still visible today. The Brighton Corn Market was held in the building before being moved in 1868 to the Royal Pavilion Riding House, which became known as the Corn Exchange. The inn’s name originally referred to George III and Queen Charlotte. During the 1930s the architects Clayton and Black rebuilt the pub in an elaborate Tudoresque facsimile with an impressive array of seemingly authentic details; tapestries and heraldic glass, carved oak timbers and linen-fold panelpieces. The Brighton Herald stated that: ‘It is something more than a handsome, spacious building, wherein people can eat, drink, and be merry in perfect comfort. It is a gorgeous flight of architectural imagination’. At the same time the original Royal Couple were replaced by the more appropriate Henry VIII and Anne Boleyn.’
(‘A Guide to the Buildings of Brighton’)

back to top

References

Source 1 :
     Title:'A Guide to the Buildings of Brighton'
     Type:Book
     Author:School of Architecture and Interior Design, Brighton Polytechnic
     Page:47
     Publisher:McMillan Martin Ltd. Macclesfield.


back to top

Photographs





Author: Anthony McIntosh
Copyright: Creative Commons




Author: Anthony McIntosh
Copyright: Creative Commons




Author: Anthony McIntosh
Copyright: Creative Commons

back to top