Object Details

War Memorial

Browse information by:
Location
Makers
General Information
Classification
Object Parts
Object Condition
History
References
Photographs

Download this information in PDF

See 3D model



Author: Anthony McIntosh
Copyright for Photograph:

Creative Commons

Location

Street:St. Catherines Road
Town:Littlehampton
Parish:Littlehampton
Council:Arun District Council
County:West Sussex
Postcode:BN17
Location on Google Map
Object setting:Garden
Access is:Public
Location note:Faces north onto the roundabout at the north side of Caffyn's Field
The A-Z books used are A-Z East Sussex and A-Z West Sussex (Editions 1A 2005). Geographers' A-Z Map Company Ltd. Sevenoaks.
OS Reference:TQ020020

back to top

Makers

Company/Group :Messrs. Holland
     Role:Stonemason

back to top

General Information

Commissioned by: Public and corporate subscription
Installation date:1921
Unveiling date:28/09/1921
Work is:Extant
Owner custodian:Littlehampton Town Council
Description:Latin cross with square nimbus on embattled base. Mounted on a square pillar with inset name panels, on two stepped base with corner blocks. WWII names on additional bronze panels. Bronze sword of sacrifice on front face of cross.
Inscription:Carved inscriptions on the stone and the bronze plaques naming the fallen.

back to top

Classification

Categories:Military, Roadside / Wayside, Free Standing, Commemorative
Object type1:War memorial
     Object subtype1:WWI and WWII

back to top

Object Parts

Part 1:Shaft
     Material:Stone with bronze sword
     Height (cm):400
     Width (cm):130
     Depth (cm):130
Part 2:Base (including corner posts)
     Material:Stone
     Height (cm):70
     Width (cm):440
     Depth (cm):440
Part 3:Base of shaft
     Material:Stone
     Height (cm):60
     Width (cm):190
     Depth (cm):190

back to top

Object Condition

Overall condition:Good
Risk assessment:No known risk
Condition 1 of type:Surface
     Condition 1: Previous treatments
     More details:Evidence of previous repairs to the shaft. Metal staining underneath the bronze plaques.
Condition 2 of type:Structural
     Condition 1: Broken or missing parts
     More details:Small chips to the corners at the base of the shaft.
Date of on-site inspection:29/05/2008

back to top

History

History:Unveiled by General Lord Horne of Stirkoke, GCB, KCMG, ADC and dedicated by Rev. A. L. Coates (Vicar of Littlehampton and Rural Dean of Arundel) and Rev. E. W. Howes.

back to top

References


back to top

Photographs





Author: Anthony McIntosh
Copyright: Creative Commons




Author: Anthony McIntosh
Copyright: Creative Commons




Author: Anthony McIntosh
Copyright: Creative Commons




Author: Anthony McIntosh
Copyright: Creative Commons

back to top