Object Details

Sussex / Kent Boundary stone

Browse information by:
Location
Makers
General Information
Classification
Object Parts
Object Condition
History
References
Photographs

Download this information in PDF

See 3D model



Author: Anthony McIntosh
Copyright for Photograph:

Creative Commons

Location

Street:Military Road
Town:Iden
Parish:Iden
Council:Rother District Council
County:East Sussex
Postcode:TN31
Location on Google Map
Object setting:Road or Wayside
Access is:Public
Location note:Heading north, on the right hand side of the road, on the East Sussex border.
In the AZ book:East Sussex
Page:67
Grid reference:L2
The A-Z books used are A-Z East Sussex and A-Z West Sussex (Editions 1A 2005). Geographers' A-Z Map Company Ltd. Sevenoaks.
OS Reference:TQ940243

back to top

Makers


back to top

General Information

Construction period:1806
Installation date:1806
Work is:Extant
Owner custodian:Rother District Council
Description:A round-headed column set on a small base of four steps.
Inscription:South west aspect of stone inscribed:
SUSSEX
1806

North-east aspect of stone inscribed:
KENT
1806

back to top

Classification

Categories:Free Standing, Commemorative, Functional
Object type1:Marker
     Object subtype1:Indicator
Subject type1:Non-figurative

back to top

Object Parts

Part 1:Whole monument
     Material:Brick and stone
     Height (cm):130
     Width (cm):82
     Depth (cm):82

back to top

Object Condition

Overall condition:Fair
Risk assessment:At risk
Condition 1 of type:Surface
     Condition 1: Corrosion, deterioration
     Condition 2: Biological growth
     Condition 3: Surface spalling, crumbling
     More details:Biological growth all over monument. Severe corrosion making inscription almost illegible.
Date of on-site inspection:20/05/2008

back to top

History

History:Erected in 1806 to commemorate the construction of the Royal Military Canal. The Canal was constructed as part of the defences against Napoleonic invasion. It is 28 miles in length running from Seabrook in Kent to Cliff End in East Sussex. As Napoleon threatened to attack in 1804, Lt. Col. Brown of the Royal Staffordshire Corps. had the idea for the Canal that would significantly improve drainage on the Romney Marsh but also defend the area against invasion. A meeting took place in September 1804 between Romney Marsh landowners and William Pitt, the Prime Minister and an agreement was arrived at to construct the canal which locally became known as ‘Mr. Pitt’s Ditch’.
(Romney Marsh Countryside Project)

back to top

References


back to top

Photographs





Author: Anthony McIntosh
Copyright: Creative Commons




Author: Anthony McIntosh
Copyright: Creative Commons




Author: Anthony McIntosh
Copyright: Creative Commons




Author: Anthony McIntosh
Copyright: Creative Commons

back to top