Object Details

War Memorial

Browse information by:
Location
Makers
General Information
Classification
Object Parts
Object Condition
History
References
Photographs

Download this information in PDF

See 3D model



Author: Anthony McIntosh
Copyright for Photograph:

Creative Commons

Location

Street:Church Square
Town:Rye
Parish:Rye
Council:Rother District Council
County:East Sussex
Postcode:TN31 7HF
Location on Google Map
Object setting:Outside building
and in:Religious
Access is:Public
Location note:Parish Church of St. Mary the Virgin, in the Churchyard, set in a circular planted area.
In the AZ book:East Sussex
Page:86
Grid reference:G3
The A-Z books used are A-Z East Sussex and A-Z West Sussex (Editions 1A 2005). Geographers' A-Z Map Company Ltd. Sevenoaks.

back to top

Makers

Name :Sir Reginald Theodore Blomfield
     Role:Designer

back to top

General Information

Construction period:1919
Installation date:1919
Unveiling date:19/10/1919
Work is:Extant
Owner custodian:Parish Church of St. Mary the Virgin, Rye.
Iconographical description:The cross represents the faith of the majority, the sword the military character of the memorial.

back to top

Classification

Categories:Military, Free Standing, Commemorative, Religious
Object type1:War memorial
     Object subtype1:Post World War II
Subject type1:Allegorical
Subject type2:Non-figurative

back to top

Object Parts

Part 1:Octagonal stepped (3) plinth
     Material:Bath stone
     Height (cm):178
     Width (cm):260
     Depth (cm):260
Part 2:Cross of sacrifice
     Material:Bath stone and bronze
     Height (cm):400
     Width (cm):100
     Depth (cm):45
Part 3:Octagonal stepped (2) base
     Material:Bath stone
     Height (cm):22
     Width (cm):450
     Depth (cm):450

back to top

Object Condition

Overall condition:Good
Risk assessment:No known risk
Date of on-site inspection:09/05/2008

back to top

History

History:Sir Reginald Theodore Blomfield (20 December 1856 – 27 December 1942) was a British architect, garden designer and author. Reginald Blomfield was born in Nymet Tracey, Devon, son of the local clergyman. He was educated at Haileybury school and at Exeter College, Oxford. His uncle, Sir Arthur Blomfield, was an architect and Blomfield followed him into the profession, training first under his uncle, then at the Royal Academy in London, where he later (1906) became Professor of Architecture. Also in 1906, he redesigned the United University Club in Pall Pall on a grander scale.
After establishing his own practice, he designed the Menin Gate Memorial in Ypres, Flanders, the Pall Mall premises of the Carlton Club destroyed in World War 2 (rather than the current premises in St James's Street), Lambeth Bridge, works at Lady Margaret Hall, Oxford, Highgate School, the 1923 Royal Air Force Memorial in London, and Goldsmiths College. He became known for remodelling streets in the early 20th Century such as Regent Street in London in the 1920s and The Headrow in Leeds from 1929. These are notable for being constructed in a uniform architectural style, and Pevsner comments on the similarity of the Leeds scheme to the earlier one in Regent Street. In 1913 he was awarded the Gold Medal of the Royal Institute of British Architects (RIBA) and was elected to the Royal Academy in 1914.
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reginald_Blomfield)

Sir Reginald Blomfield
Reginald Theodore Blomfield was born on 20th December 1856 at Nymet Tracey in Devonshire. He was the third son of a country rector. His ancestors the Blomviles, came to England with William the Conqueror in 1066. He was educated at Haileybury and at Exeter College Oxford. In 1881 he started training as an architect in the office of his uncle Sir Arthur Blomfield. A year later he was admitted as a student of architecture at the Royal Academy. In 1883 he set up on his own as an architect and became one of the early members of the Art Workers Guild. He struck up friendships with Norman Shaw, Edwin Lutyens, D.S. MacColl and William Morris. He became involved with the Arts and Crafts movement. In 1900 he published a Short History of Renaissance Architecture in England and in response to the Boer War, joined the Inns of Court Mounted Infantry, (A Territorial Army unit based in Lincoln's Inn in the Holborn area of London). In 1906 he was appointed Professor of Architecture to the Royal Academy. He was elected President of the RIBA in 1912, was awarded their Royal Gold Medal 1913 and elected a member of the Royal Academy in 1914. Upon the outbreak of the Great War, he renewed his acquaintance with the Inns of Court and dug trenches all over London in the company of some of the most distinguished legal minds of the Empire and the war poet Laurence Binyon. In 1918 he was appointed one of the Principal Architects of the Imperial War Graves Commission and for the next nine years was heavily involved with the design of their cemeteries behind the Western Front. He designed the Cross of Sacrifice [5] which stands in the Commission's cemeteries. He collaborated with Sir Aston Webb and Sir W. Hamo Thornycroft in designing several war memorials for London. They were forbidden use of the Royal Parks, which explains the considerable number of war memorials on Victoria Embankment. He designed the Royal Air Force Memorial on the Embankment, the municipal memorials at Leeds, Luton and Torquay and the Memorial Chapel at Oundle School. In 1918 he was appointed to the memorials committee convened by Sir Alfred Mond, First Commissioner of Works. In 1919 he was sent by the War Office to Ypres to design a memorial intended initially to take 40,000 names of those who had no known grave. He chose the site of the Menin Gate and designed there the memorial that was to be the best known work of his career. There were to be major difficulties involved with its erection, which he overcame with the help of the brilliant engineer Sir Maurice Fitzmaurice. The completion of this commission ended his time with the Commission. In December 1927, Sir Fabian Ware wrote to him: 'I think you will understand it, when I say that everybody working had wished, looking back on the past years, to send you a special message of gratitude for the great work that you have done for the Commission…. We are all deeply grateful to you, and very proud to have been associated with you'. A pugnacious and energetic figure, Blomfield relished a fight and engaged in the architectural controversies of his day with gusto. His plans for remodelling Carlton Gardens led to a debate in the House of Commons and his resignation from the Royal Fine Art Commission. He published Memoirs of an Architect (1932), Modernismus (1934), Sebastien Le Prestre de Vauban (1938) and Richard Norman Shaw (1940). He designed the façade of the Carlton Club in London and Lady Margaret Hall in Oxford. He was also responsible for remodelling Regent Street and Piccadilly Circus. He designed Lambeth Bridge and St George's Memorial Church in Ypres, which was built in 1928. He died in 1942. A bronze portrait bust by Sir William Reid Dick is in the National Portrait Gallery.
(http://www.veterans-uk.info/remembrance/blomfield.html)


The cross represents the faith of the majority, the sword the military character of the cemetery. Crosses of Sacrifice are, in general, found in cemeteries with over 40 war graves. There are three different sizes of cross ranging from 18 to 32 feet high. The largest size is only used in the largest sites. In sites where subsistence is an issue the Cross of Sacrifice is often replaced with one built into the boundary wall of the cemetery
(CWGC)

back to top

References


back to top

Photographs





Author: Anthony McIntosh
Copyright: Creative Commons




Author: Anthony McIntosh
Copyright: Creative Commons




Author: Anthony McIntosh
Copyright: Creative Commons




Author: Anthony McIntosh
Copyright: Creative Commons

back to top