Object Details

Monument to John Collingwood

Browse information by:
Location
Makers
General Information
Classification
Object Parts
Object Condition
History
References
Photographs

Download this information in PDF

See 3D model



Author: Anthony McIntosh
Copyright for Photograph:

Creative Commons

Location

Street:Lewes Road
Town:Brighton
Parish:Brighton
Council:Brighton & Hove City Council
County:East Sussex
Postcode:BN2
Location on Google Map
Object setting:Garden
and in:Religious
Access is:Public
Location note:Extra-Mural Cemetery, 'Robertson's Special' area, north side, to the west of the Ray Mausoleum
In the AZ book:East Sussex
Page:132
Grid reference:D5
The A-Z books used are A-Z East Sussex and A-Z West Sussex (Editions 1A 2005). Geographers' A-Z Map Company Ltd. Sevenoaks.
OS Reference:TQ3205

back to top

Makers

Name : W. Burnet(t)
     Role:Architect
Company/Group :W. Field, 13 Parliament Street, London
Company/Group :Rooke

back to top

General Information

Commissioned by: Collingwood family
Construction period:c1861
Installation date:1861
Work is:Extant
Owner custodian:Collingwood family
Object listing:Grade II: of special interest warranting every effort to preserve them
Building listing:II
Description:The monument faces south and is made from Portland stone with polished granite and scagliola. The monument is a Gothic tabernacle in style. The base is square with two offsets and two recessed quatrefoils to each side inset with scagliola shields. There is an octagonal canopy with pointed arches to the cardinal points having an inner order to the outside and the inside. There are lower arches to the diagonal faces, and lower arches also flanking the taller ones so as to carry the lower part of the canopy out to the corners of the base where they have squat columns of polished granite shared with the arch on the return. Cross-gables sit above, the spandrels filled with quatrefoil decoration, flanked by pinnacles and gargoyles. The motif of the canopy is roughly and more simply repeated in a stone lantern at the apex.
Signatures:Bottom right hand corner of monument:
W. FIELD
13 PARLIAMENT ST
LONDON

Bottom right hand corner of base:
ROOKE.

Bottom left hand corner of monument:
BURNET ARD
Inscription:South face, carved letters inset with stone:

IN MEMORY OF
JOHN COLLINGWOOD
BORN FEB 21 1796.
DIED JAN 12 1861

back to top

Classification

Categories:Free Standing, Commemorative, Architectural, Funerary
Object type1:Building
     Object subtype1:Mausoleum
Subject type1:Non-figurative

back to top

Object Parts

Part 1:Monument
     Material:Portland stone and red granite
     Height (cm):550
     Width (cm):220
     Depth (cm):220
Part 2:Base
     Material:Portland stone
     Height (cm):50
     Width (cm):275
     Depth (cm):290

back to top

Object Condition

Overall condition:Good
Risk assessment:No known risk
Condition 1 of type:Surface
     Condition 1: Biological growth
     More details:Biological growth on all sides.
Condition 2 of type:Structural
     Condition 1: Broken or missing parts
     Condition 2: Cracks, splits, breaks, holes
     More details:Granite columns on the middle arch of each side badly cracked and corroded. Top of the lantern broken off and placed underneath the canopy. West face: Granite columns at either side of the middle arch both missing. Finial at the south-west corner missing.
Condition 3 of type:Vandalism
     Condition 1: Surface damage
     More details:Scratched graffiti to the inner stonework underneath the canopy.
Date of on-site inspection:01/05/2008

back to top

History

History:The Extra-Mural Cemetery covers land formerly the open arable field of Scabe's Castle, a late-eighteenth-century farm with buildings in Hartington Road. These were demolished in the 1900s when Hartington Place and Hartington Terrace were developed. The Extra-Mural cemetery is the oldest of the three cemeteries on the land. It was originally a private burial ground, laid out on 28 acres in 1850 by the Brighton Extra-Mural Company, 6 acres being the gift of the Marquess of Bristol. The entrance was a castellated gateway with a round tower in Lewes Road, and there were two mortuary chapels designed by A.H.Wilds of which only the Anglican chapel remains.
The cemetery was a favourite resort in the nineteenth century and even had a guide book published, but in 1956 the now redundant cemetery was purchased by the corporation and restored as an interesting and picturesque garden of remembrance which contains many impressive Victorian tombs, including those of several important figures in Brighton's history. In the driveway is the borough mortuary which opened in August 1962 and has between 600 and 700 admissions a year.
(Encyclopaedia of Brighton by Tim Carder).

The cemetery was consecrated on 14 November 1857 by the then Bishop of Chichester, Dr. A.T. Gilbert

The Woodvale Cemetery was opened in 1857. The Woodvale crematorium and chapels are located in this cemetery. The burial ground is Grade II listed and until 1902 was known as the Brighton 'Parochial' cemetery.
(Brighton and Hove City Council)

back to top

References

Source 1 :
     Title:'Brighton Cemeteries'
     Type:Book
     Author:Dale, Antony.
     Edition:1995 Reprint
     Page:10-11
     Publisher:Brighton Borough Council. Brighton.

Source 2 :
     Title:'Encyclopaedia OF Brighton'
     Type:Book
     Author:Carder, Timothy
     Publisher:East Sussex County Libraries. Lewes.


back to top

Photographs





Author: Anthony McIntosh
Copyright: Creative Commons




Author: Anthony McIntosh
Copyright: Creative Commons




Author: Anthony McIntosh
Copyright: Creative Commons




Author: Anthony McIntosh
Copyright: Creative Commons

back to top