Object Details

Drinking fountain and trough

Browse information by:
Location
Makers
General Information
Classification
Object Parts
Object Condition
History
References
Photographs

Download this information in PDF

See 3D model



Author: Anthony McIntosh
Copyright for Photograph:

Creative Commons

Location

Street:Lewes Road
Town:Brighton
Parish:Brighton
Council:Brighton & Hove City Council
County:East Sussex
Postcode:BN2
Location on Google Map
Object setting:Garden
and in:Religious
Access is:Public
Location note:Extra-Mural Cemetery, in front of the Ray mausoleum & the old Anglican Chapel
In the AZ book:East Sussex
Page:132
Grid reference:D5
The A-Z books used are A-Z East Sussex and A-Z West Sussex (Editions 1A 2005). Geographers' A-Z Map Company Ltd. Sevenoaks.
OS Reference:TQ3205

back to top

Makers

Name : Amon Henry Wilds
     Role:Designer

back to top

General Information

Commissioned by: Brighton Extra Mural Company
Construction period:1851
Installation date:1851
Unveiling date:14/08/1851
Work is:Extant
Owner custodian:Brighton & Hove City Council
Description:Faces west. Large upright stone drinking fountain resembling a gravestone, with floral motif above pink granite bowl. The bowl sits in a recessed arch. There are inset columns at each side of the fountain. The whole upright structure is topped with a further floral motif set in a semi-circular recess. To the back of the fountain is a large rectangular trough.

back to top

Classification

Categories:Functional, Free Standing, Composite
Object type1:Fountain
     Object subtype1:Drinking Trough
Subject type1:Figurative

back to top

Object Parts

Part 1:Fountain
     Material:Stone with pink granite bowl
     Height (cm):240
     Width (cm):100
     Depth (cm):30
Part 2:trough
     Material:Stone
     Height (cm):62
     Width (cm):95
     Depth (cm):140

back to top

Object Condition

Overall condition:Good
Risk assessment:No known risk
Condition 1 of type:Structural
     Condition 1: Broken or missing parts
     More details:Several large chips from north west corner. Cup lost. Non-functioning.
Date of on-site inspection:01/05/2008

back to top

History

History:The fountain was erected to provide drinking water for mourners and visitors to the cemetery. The company who erected the fountain employed AH Wilds and it is possible that Wilds was the designer. The cemetery was consecrated on 14 November 1857 by the then Bishop of Chichester, Dr. A.T. Gilbert

The Extra-Mural Cemetery covers land formerly the open arable field of Scabe's Castle, a late-eighteenth-century farm with buildings in Hartington Road. These were demolished in the 1900s when Hartington Place and Hartington Terrace were developed. The Extra-Mural cemetery is the oldest of the three cemeteries on the land. It was originally a private burial ground, laid out on 28 acres in 1850 by the Brighton Extra-Mural Company, 6 acres being the gift of the Marquess of Bristol. The entrance was a castellated gateway with a round tower in Lewes Road, and there were two mortuary chapels designed by A.H.Wilds of which only the Anglican chapel remains. The cemetery was a favourite resort in the nineteenth century and even had a guide book published, but in 1956 the now redundant cemetery was purchased by the corporation and restored as an interesting and picturesque garden of remembrance which contains many impressive Victorian tombs, including those of several important figures in Brighton's history. In the driveway is the borough mortuary which opened in August 1962 and has between 600 and 700 admissions a year.
(Encyclopaedia of Brighton by Tim Carder).

The Woodvale Cemetery was opened in 1857. The Woodvale crematorium and chapels are located in this cemetery. The burial ground is Grade II listed and until 1902 was known as the Brighton 'Parochial' cemetery.
(Brighton and Hove City Council)

back to top

References

Source 1 :
     Title:'Brighton Cemeteries'
     Type:Book
     Author:Dale, Antony.
     Edition:1995 Reprint
     Publisher:Brighton Borough Council. Brighton.

Source 2 :
     Title:'Encyclopaedia OF Brighton'
     Type:Book
     Author:Carder, Timothy
     Publisher:East Sussex County Libraries. Lewes.


back to top

Photographs





Author: Anthony McIntosh
Copyright: Creative Commons




Author: Anthony McIntosh
Copyright: Creative Commons




Author: Anthony McIntosh
Copyright: Creative Commons




Author: Anthony McIntosh
Copyright: Creative Commons

back to top