Object Details

Baldwin Family Mausoleum

Browse information by:
Location
Makers
General Information
Classification
Object Parts
Object Condition
History
References
Photographs

Download this information in PDF

See 3D model



Author: Anthony McIntosh
Copyright for Photograph:

Creative Commons

Location

Street:Lewes Road
Town:Brighton
Parish:Brighton
Council:Brighton & Hove City Council
County:East Sussex
Postcode:BN2
Location on Google Map
Object setting:Garden
and in:Religious
Access is:Public
Location note:Extra Mural Cemetery, the 'Rookery', south side, east of the old Anglican Chapel.
In the AZ book:East Sussex
Page:132
Grid reference:D5
The A-Z books used are A-Z East Sussex and A-Z West Sussex (Editions 1A 2005). Geographers' A-Z Map Company Ltd. Sevenoaks.
OS Reference:TQ3205

back to top

Makers

Name : John Leopold Denman, F.R.I.B.A
     Role:Architect

back to top

General Information

Commissioned by: Baldwin family
Construction period:c1930
Work is:Extant
Owner custodian:Baldwin family
Object listing:Grade II: of special interest warranting every effort to preserve them
Building listing:II
Description:Faces north. Rectangular mausoleum, Byzantine style. A central dome, round-arched mouldings breaking above the cornice on the north and south sides, with transept-like arms, similarly arched, to east and west. Round, arched entrance in the west side with engaged columns, the capitals and archivolts decorated with interlacing. Set with a bronze door with inscriptions on bronze panles. The mausoleum has windows to the north and south in the form of a stylised cross. The interior is decorated with gold mosaic.
Inscription:Bronze plaques, set into the door:

TO THE
GLORY OF
GOD
&
IN LOVING
MEMORY OF
EDMUND
CHAPLIN
BALDWIN
O·B·E
ALSO OF
HARRY BARDSLEY
CHAPLIN BALDWIN
M·A
SON OF THE ABOVE
DIED DE 29TH 1937
R·I·P

ALSO OF
DOROTHY
WIFE OF EDMUND
CHAPLIN BALDWIN
DIED AUG. 6TH 1939

AND IN LOVING
MEMORY OF
JOHN WILLIAM
EDMUND BALDWIN
SON OF
HARRY AND ENA
CHAPLIN BALDWIN
DIED DEC.18TH 1954
AGED 25 YEARS

back to top

Classification

Categories:Free Standing, Commemorative, Architectural, Funerary
Object type1:Building
     Object subtype1:Mausoleum
Subject type1:Non-figurative

back to top

Object Parts

Part 1:Mausoleum
     Material:Stone on a base of black marble
     Height (cm):300
     Width (cm):200
     Depth (cm):300

back to top

Object Condition

Overall condition:Good
Risk assessment:No known risk
Condition 1 of type:Structural
     Condition 1: Broken or missing parts
     More details:Glass of the windows broken.
Date of on-site inspection:01/05/2008

back to top

History

History:Baldwin was a Chartered Accountant and lived at 9 Windlesham Avenue, Brighton. He died on 9 June 1935. There is a stained glass window dedicated to Baldwin in St. Peter’s Church, Brighton

The Extra-Mural Cemetery covers land formerly the open arable field of Scabe's Castle, a late-eighteenth-century farm with buildings in Hartington Road. These were demolished in the 1900s when Hartington Place and Hartington Terrace were developed. The Extra-Mural cemetery is the oldest of the three cemeteries on the land. It was originally a private burial ground, laid out on 28 acres in 1850 by the Brighton Extra-Mural Company, 6 acres being the gift of the Marquess of Bristol. The entrance was a castellated gateway with a round tower in Lewes Road, and there were two mortuary chapels designed by A.H.Wilds of which only the Anglican chapel remains. The cemetery was a favourite resort in the nineteenth century and even had a guide book published, but in 1956 the now redundant cemetery was purchased by the corporation and restored as an interesting and picturesque garden of remembrance which contains many impressive Victorian tombs, including those of several important figures in Brighton's history. In the driveway is the borough mortuary which opened in August 1962 and has between 600 and 700 admissions a year.
(Encyclopaedia of Brighton by Tim Carder).

The Woodvale Cemetery was opened in 1857. The Woodvale crematorium and chapels are located in this cemetery. The burial ground is Grade II listed and until 1902 was known as the Brighton 'Parochial' cemetery.
(Brighton and Hove City Council)

The cemetery was consecrated on 14 November 1857 by the then Bishop of Chichester, Dr. A.T. Gilbert

back to top

References

Source 1 :
     Title:'Brighton Cemeteries'
     Type:Book
     Author:Dale, Antony.
     Edition:1995 Reprint
     Page:17
     Publisher:Brighton Borough Council. Brighton.

Source 2 :
     Title:'Encyclopaedia OF Brighton'
     Type:Book
     Author:Carder, Timothy
     Publisher:East Sussex County Libraries. Lewes.


back to top

Photographs





Author: Anthony McIntosh
Copyright: Creative Commons




Author: Anthony McIntosh
Copyright: Creative Commons




Author: Anthony McIntosh
Copyright: Creative Commons




Author: Anthony McIntosh
Copyright: Creative Commons

back to top