Object Details

Monument to John Frederick, 3rd Duke of Dorset

Browse information by:
Location
Makers
General Information
Classification
Object Parts
Object Condition
History
References
Photographs

Download this information in PDF

See 3D model



Author: Anthony McIntosh
Copyright for Photograph:

Creative Commons

Location

Street:B2110 Withyham Road
Town:Withyham
Parish:Withyham
Council:Wealden District Council
County:East Sussex
Postcode:TN7
Location on Google Map
Object setting:Inside building
and in:Religious
Access is:Private
Location note:The Sackville Chapel, north east corner of the Parish Church of St. Michael and All Angels
In the AZ book:East Sussex
Page:13
Grid reference:M8
The A-Z books used are A-Z East Sussex and A-Z West Sussex (Editions 1A 2005). Geographers' A-Z Map Company Ltd. Sevenoaks.

back to top

Makers

Name : Joseph Nollekens R.A.
     Role:Sculptor

back to top

General Information

Commissioned by: Arabella, Duchess of Dorset.
Construction period:1802
Installation date:1802
Work is:Extant
Owner custodian:Earl De La Warr
Description:Affixed to the north wall of the Chapel. Relief sculpture with three figures. Two cherubs, one standing to the left, one seated in front, drape garlands over a lidded urn on which is a portrait relief of the 3rd. Duke. Another cherub stands to the right. In his left hand is an up-turned torch and he supports his head with his right arm and hand on the urn. The figures sit on a plinth that holds an inscription to the front.
Signatures:Signature to the front, bottom right of monument:
Nollekens FI 1802
Inscription:Carved letters underneath the sculptural relief:

JOHN FREDERICK DUKE and EARL OF DORSET;
Earl of Middlefex, Baron of Buckhurfs, and Baron of Cranfield;
Knight of the Most Nobel Order of the Garter:
Lord-Lietenant and Cuftos-Rotulorum of the County of Kent, and City of Canterbury;
Vice-Admiral of the Coafts of the faid County and Steward of Stratford upon Avon.
He was Ambaffador to the Court of France. And Steward of HIS MAJESTY’S Houfehold.
He died in the Year 1799 the 19th. Day of July in the fifty fifth Year of his Age;
And was buried near this Place:
To whofe Memory this is offered, with the utmoft Gratitude, Affection and Honor
By his Widow ARABELLA DIANA.

back to top

Classification

Categories:Sculptural, Funerary, Commemorative
Object type1:Sculpture
Object type2:Relief
Subject type1:Figurative
     Subject subtype1:Group
Subject type2:Portrait
     Subject subtype1:Group

back to top

Object Parts

Part 1:Whole monument
     Material:White and dark grey marble
     Height (cm):245
     Width (cm):140
     Depth (cm):25

back to top

Object Condition

Overall condition:Good
Risk assessment:No known risk
Date of on-site inspection:22/02/2008

back to top

History

History:John Frederick Sackville, 3rd Duke of Dorset (25 March 1745 - 19 July 1799) was the son of Lord John Philip Sackville and Frances Leveson-Gower. He married Arabella Diana Cope (1768 -1 August 1825), daughter of Sir Charles Cope and Catherine Bisshopp. The 3rd Duke was the last British Ambassador to France before the revolution of 1789 and became a close friend of Queen Marie Antoinette.

The Sackville Chapel was added to the church by Richard Sackville 5th Earl of Dorset (16 September 1622 – 27 August 1677). On 16 June 1663, the whole church was largely destroyed after a lightning strike. The heat generated was so great that even the bells melted. The original Sackville monuments were completely destroyed. The church was rebuilt but did not reopen until 1672 and the rebuilding of the Sackville Chapel was not completed for another eight years. The chapel is unusual in that it does not come under the jurisdiction of the Bishop but is privately owned by the 11th Earl De La Warr, who is patron of the church. The church was given a Grade I listing because of the monuments.
(Source: ‘The Sackville Chapel’)

This entry is included in the database with kind permission and support from Countess De La Warr.

back to top

References

Source 1 :
     Title:'The Sackville Chapel'
     Type:Book
     Author:Countess De La Warr, & Innes-Smith, Robert.
     Publisher:English Life Publications Ltd. Derby.

Source 2 :
     Title:'Historical Notices of the Parish of Withyham in the County of Sussex, With a Description of the Church and Sackville Chapel'
     Type:Book
     Author:Sackville-West, Reginald Windsor.
     Page:58-100
     Publisher:John Russell Smith. London.


back to top

Photographs





Author: Anthony McIntosh
Copyright: Creative Commons




Author: Anthony McIntosh
Copyright: Creative Commons




Author: Anthony McIntosh
Copyright: Creative Commons




Author: Anthony McIntosh
Copyright: Creative Commons

back to top