Object Details

Petworth Obelisk

Browse information by:
Location
Makers
General Information
Classification
Object Parts
Object Condition
History
References
Photographs

Download this information in PDF

See 3D model



Author: Anthony McIntosh
Copyright for Photograph:

Creative Commons

Location

Street:East Street
Town:Petworth
Parish:Petworth
Council:Chichester District Council
County:West Sussex
Postcode:GU28
Location on Google Map
Object setting:Road or Wayside
Access is:Public
Location note:In the middle of the road, junction of East Street, North Street, Church Street.
In the AZ book:West Sussex
Page:61
Grid reference:N9
The A-Z books used are A-Z East Sussex and A-Z West Sussex (Editions 1A 2005). Geographers' A-Z Map Company Ltd. Sevenoaks.
OS Reference:SU977217

back to top

Makers

Name :Sir Charles Barry
     Role:Designer

back to top

General Information

Commissioned by: Petworth Parish Council
Construction period:1851
Installation date:1851
Unveiling date:1851
Work is:Extant
Owner custodian:Chichester District Council
Object listing:Grade II: of special interest warranting every effort to preserve them
Building listing:II
Description:Four tiered hexagonal pedestal on hexagonal brick base. Central iron shaft with three twisted thinner shafts around it with pointed tops. At the top are ogee arches and scroll work and a finial. Copper lantern on top.

back to top

Classification

Categories:Sculptural, Functional, Free Standing
Object type1:Street furniture
     Object subtype1:Lamp
Object type2:Shaft
     Object subtype1:Lamp
Subject type1:Non-figurative

back to top

Object Parts

Part 1:Lamp and stand
     Material:Cast iron, painted blue
     Height (cm):385
     Width (cm):90
     Depth (cm):90
Part 2:Hexagonal base
     Material:Brick, stone and ceramic tile
     Height (cm):12
     Width (cm):240
     Depth (cm):240
Part 3:Pedestal
     Material:Portland stone
     Height (cm):173
     Width (cm):135
     Depth (cm):135

back to top

Object Condition

Overall condition:Good
Risk assessment:No known risk
Date of on-site inspection:13/02/2008

back to top

History

History:Sir Charles Barry was the joint architect of the Houses of Parliament. He also designed St. Peters Church in Brighton and restored the Parish Church of St. Mary the Virgin in Petworth. The lamp was given to Lord Leconfield in thanks for his providing the town with gas lighting.

back to top

References


back to top

Photographs





Author: Anthony McIntosh
Copyright: Creative Commons




Author: Anthony McIntosh
Copyright: Creative Commons




Author: Anthony McIntosh
Copyright: Creative Commons




Author: Anthony McIntosh
Copyright: Creative Commons

back to top