Object Details

Queens Park Drinking Fountain

Browse information by:
Location
Makers
General Information
Classification
Object Parts
Object Condition
History
References
Photographs

Download this information in PDF

See 3D model



Author: Anthony McIntosh
Copyright for Photograph:

Creative Commons

Location

Street:West Drive
Town:Brighton
Parish:Brighton
Council:Brighton & Hove City Council
County:East Sussex
Postcode:BN2
Location on Google Map
Object setting:Public Park
Access is:Public
Location note:In Queens Park, to the west of the Clock Tower near the dog walk
In the AZ book:East Sussex
Page:132
Grid reference:D8
The A-Z books used are A-Z East Sussex and A-Z West Sussex (Editions 1A 2005). Geographers' A-Z Map Company Ltd. Sevenoaks.

back to top

Makers


back to top

General Information

Commissioned by: Brighton Borough Council
Installation date:1893
Unveiling date:1893
Work is:Extant
Owner custodian:Brighton & Hove City Council
Object listing:Grade II: of special interest warranting every effort to preserve them
Description:Grey granite base and pink granite dado and socles; terracotta blocks and sandstone dressings. Square in plan, with 8-sided corner piers; 2 stages. Free interpretation of Tudor style. Granite base of 3 steps. Each corner pier is panelled and covered with floral tracery. Each face dominated by a segmental arch, subordered and moulded, above which is sandstone acanthus cornice and flared segmental pediment. The traceried piers continue above this cornice terminating in 8-sided, onion-domed pinnacles. In the centre of the roof rises a cupola of red sandstone moulded with a variety of Tudor- and Elizabethan-period classical mouldings. The basins, now gone, were originally set in round-arched aedicules under the segmental arches. The tympanum of this aedicule filled with floral scrolls and shells. Inscriptions on a granite plaque above the former location of each basin remain.
Inscription:Inscribed granite plaque, west face:

BOROUGH OF BRIGHTON
THIS PARK WAS OPENED AND DEDICATED
TO THE FREE USE OF THE PUBLIC FOR EVER
ON THE 10TH AUGUST 1892, BY THE MAYOR
AND MAYORESS OF THE BOROUGH, ALDERMAN
JOSEPH EWART M.D. AND MISS EWART
FRANCIS J. TILLSTONE,
TOWN CLERK

Inscribed granite plaque, south face:

BOROUGH OF BRIGHTON
RECREATION GROUND COMMITTEE 1891-2
ALDERMAN JOSEPH EWART M.D. MAYOR
COUNCILLOR EDWARD BROADBRIDGE, CHAIRMAN
ALDERMAN ABBEY ALDERMAN MOON
'' BOTTING COUNCILLOR BERRY
'' DAVEY '' BOOTH
'' HAWKES '' DEWE
'' MANWARING '' LOWTHER
'' MARTIN SAUNDERS
FRANCES J.C. MAY GEORGE WARD
BROUGH ENGINEER & SURVEYOR HEAD-GARDENER

Inscribed granite plaque, north face:

BOROUGH OF BRIGHTON
THIS FOUNTAIN WAS ERECTED BY THE COUNCIL
OF THE BOROUGH TO COMMEMORATE THE GIFT
OF ''QUEENS PARK'' BY THE TRUSTEES OF
THE RACE STAND FOR THE BENEFIT OF THE
INHABITANTS OF BRIGHTON A.D.1893
JOSEPH EWART M.D. MAYOR

Inscribed granite plaque, east face:

BOROUGH OF BRIGHTON
THIS PARK WAS CONSTRUCTED AT A COST OF £13,500
AND PRESENTED TO THE TOWN OF BRIGHTON BY
ALDERMAN HENRY ABBEY, ALDERMAN JOHN
BRIDGEN, J.P., ALDERMAN SAMUEL RIDLEY J.P.
AND WILLIAM SEYMOUR, BOROUGH SQUIRE.
TRUSTEES OF THE BRIGHTON RACE STAND,
A.D.1891
SAMUEL HENRY SOPER, MAYOR

back to top

Classification

Categories:Free Standing, Commemorative, Architectural, Functional
Object type1:Fountain
     Object subtype1:Drinking Fountain
Object type2:Building
     Object subtype1:Drinking Fountain
Subject type1:Non-figurative

back to top

Object Parts

Part 1:Drinking fountain
     Material:Sandstone, terracotta and pink granite
     Height (cm):430
     Width (cm):265
     Depth (cm):265
Part 2:Octagonal stepped (3) base
     Material:Grey granite
     Height (cm):42
     Width (cm):535
     Depth (cm):535

back to top

Object Condition

Overall condition:Fair
Risk assessment:At risk
Condition 1 of type:Structural
     Condition 1: Broken or missing parts
     Condition 2: Cracks, splits, breaks, holes
     More details:All the four drinking bowls and spouts have been removed. All stonework eroded and cracked. Some cracks to the terracotta on all sides.
Date of on-site inspection:01/02/2008

back to top

History


back to top

References


back to top

Photographs





Author: Anthony McIntosh
Copyright: Creative Commons




Author: Anthony McIntosh
Copyright: Creative Commons




Author: Anthony McIntosh
Copyright: Creative Commons




Author: Anthony McIntosh
Copyright: Creative Commons

back to top