Object Details

Family Group

Browse information by:
Location
Makers
General Information
Classification
Object Parts
Object Condition
History
References
Photographs

Download this information in PDF

See 3D model



Author: Anthony McIntosh
Copyright for Photograph:

Creative Commons

Location

Street:The Broadway
Town:Crawley
Parish:Crawley
Council:Crawley Borough Council
County:West Sussex
Postcode:RH10
Location on Google Map
Object setting:On building
Access is:Public
Location note:Above the entrance to T.J. Hughes
In the AZ book:West Sussex
Page:10
Grid reference:F6
The A-Z books used are A-Z East Sussex and A-Z West Sussex (Editions 1A 2005). Geographers' A-Z Map Company Ltd. Sevenoaks.

back to top

Makers

Name : Richard Browne
     Role:Sculptor

back to top

General Information

Installation date:1959
Unveiling date:1959
Work is:Extant
Object listing:Not listed
Description:A family group of a man, woman and child, facing east, high up on the wall of T.J. Hughes.
Iconographical description:The sculpture was erected to symbolise the enlarged community.
Inscription:Black circular plaque erected under the colonnade, underneath the sculpture and near to the shop entrance:

CRAWLEY ARTS COUNCIL
THE
ABOVE SCULPTURE,
‘FAMILY GROUP’ ERECTED
IN 1959 AS A SYMBOL OF
CRAWLEY NEW TOWN, IS BY
SUSSEX SCULPTOR
RICHARD
BROWNE
(1921 – 1990)
AWARDS FOR ALL

back to top

Classification

Categories:Commemorative, Architectural, Sculptural
Object type1:Statue
Object type2:Sculpture
Subject type1:Figurative
     Subject subtype1:Group
Subject type2:Symbolic
     Subject subtype1:Group

back to top

Object Parts

Part 1:Sculpture
     Material:Bronze
     Height (cm):200
     Width (cm):150
     Depth (cm):50
Part 2:Back slab
     Material:Concrete
     Height (cm):300
     Width (cm):200

back to top

Object Condition

Overall condition:Good
Risk assessment:No known risk
Date of on-site inspection:22/01/2008

back to top

History

History:The building was originally the Co-op Building. In 1947 Crawley was designated a ‘New Town’. The population was 9,500. When the population had grown to over 50,000 in 1959, the sculpture was erected to symbolise the enlarged community.

back to top

References


back to top

Photographs





Author: Anthony McIntosh
Copyright: Creative Commons




Author: Anthony McIntosh
Copyright: Creative Commons




Author: Anthony McIntosh
Copyright: Creative Commons




Author: Anthony McIntosh
Copyright: Creative Commons

back to top