Object Details

Sergison Drinking Trough

Browse information by:
Location
Makers
General Information
Classification
Object Parts
Object Condition
History
References
Photographs

Download this information in PDF

See 3D model



Author: Anthony McIntosh
Copyright for Photograph:

Creative Commons

Location

Street:South Street
Town:Cuckfield
Parish:Cuckfield
Council:Mid Sussex District Council
County:West Sussex
Postcode:RH17
Location on Google Map
Object setting:Road or Wayside
Access is:Public
Location note:Side of the road at junction of South Street and Okenden Lane.
In the AZ book:West Sussex
Page:71
Grid reference:N3/N4
The A-Z books used are A-Z East Sussex and A-Z West Sussex (Editions 1A 2005). Geographers' A-Z Map Company Ltd. Sevenoaks.
OS Reference:TQ3024

back to top

Makers


back to top

General Information

Commissioned by: Editha Elma Sergison, Lady Glanusk (sister)
Work is:Extant
Owner custodian:Cuckfield Parish Council
Object listing:Grade II: of special interest warranting every effort to preserve them
Description:Rectangular basin set on piers which incorporate two carriage curbing stones. On top of the trough is an ogee-headed drinking fountain. The trough is planted with flowers.
Inscription:Carved into the front of the trough:

IN MEMORY OF
CAPTAIN C.W. SERGISON. SCOTS GUARDS.
AND MICHAEL DELAVAL SERGISON
ERECTED BY THEIR SISTER LADY GLANUSK.

back to top

Classification

Categories:Functional, Free Standing, Commemorative, Roadside / Wayside
Object type1:Fountain
     Object subtype1:Drinking Trough
Subject type1:Non-figurative

back to top

Object Parts

Part 1:Whole structure
     Material:Grey granite
     Height (cm):115
     Width (cm):218
     Depth (cm):75

back to top

Object Condition

Overall condition:Good
Risk assessment:No known risk
Condition 1 of type:Surface
     Condition 1: Corrosion, deterioration
     More details:Inscription very weather worn.
Condition 2 of type:Structural
     Condition 1: Broken or missing parts
     More details:Cup and water spout missing.
Date of on-site inspection:07/01/2008

back to top

History

History:Captain Charles Warden Sergison (25 November 1867, London - 20 January 1911, Cuckfield). Michael Delavel Sergison (1873, Cuckfield - 1888, Eton College). Editha Elma Sergison (1871, Cuckfield - 19 April 1938). She married Joseph Henry Russell Bailey, 2nd Baron Glanusk, son of Sir Joseph Russell Bailey, 1st Baron Glanusk, on 6 August 1890. All three were children of Major Warden Sergison (13 July 1835 - 16 July 1888).

The site of the trough used to be occupied by the village stocks and the area is still know as 'The Stocks' by older inhabitants. Captain Sergison, retiring after fifteen years in the army, was made a J.P. and Chairman of the Cuckfield Urban District Council. He settled in the new Slaugham Place in 1902 and leased Cuckfield Park to Mr. Louis Breitmeyer, a benefactor to the village. Editha was the first Sergison ever to be married in the village.
('A Chronicle of Cuckfield')

At an Urban District Council meeting on 8 June 1917 it was decided to turn the water on at the Sergison drinking trough and to supply a white enamel mug and chain. Interestingly when in 1897 there was a debate as to how best to commemorate Queen Victoria's Diamond Jubilee, the idea of a drinking trough had been generally ridiculed with comments from Major Moberly that drinking troughs were only ever used by tramps and that they were not welcome in the village. Captain Sergison happened to be the Chairman at that meeting.
('A Small Town At War: 1917 in Mid Sussex')

back to top

References

Source 1 :
     Title:'A Chronicle of Cuckfield'
     Type:Book
     Author:Wright, Maisie.
     Edition:1991
     Publisher:Mid Sussex Local History Group & the Cuckfield Museum Trust.

Source 2 :
     Title:'A Small Town At War: 1917 in Mid Sussex'
     Type:Book
     Author:Miller, Alan.
     Publisher:Cuckfield Parish Council. Cuckfield.


back to top

Photographs





Author: Anthony McIntosh
Copyright: Creative Commons




Author: Anthony McIntosh
Copyright: Creative Commons




Author: Anthony McIntosh
Copyright: Creative Commons




Author: Anthony McIntosh
Copyright: Creative Commons

back to top