Object Details

Tomb of Frederick Gustav Jonathan Eckstein

Browse information by:
Location
Makers
General Information
Classification
Object Parts
Object Condition
History
References
Photographs

Download this information in PDF

See 3D model



Author: Anthony McIntosh
Copyright for Photograph:

Creative Commons

Location

Street:B2026
Town:Fairwarp
Parish:Maresfield
Council:Wealden District Council
County:East Sussex
Postcode:TN22
Location on Google Map
Object setting:Outside building
and in:Religious
Access is:Public
Location note:Western section of churchyard, Christ Church.
In the AZ book:East Sussex
Page:34
Grid reference:G8
The A-Z books used are A-Z East Sussex and A-Z West Sussex (Editions 1A 2005). Geographers' A-Z Map Company Ltd. Sevenoaks.

back to top

Makers

Name :Sir William Reid Dick
     Role:Sculptor

back to top

General Information

Commissioned by: Eckstein family
Construction period:1932
Installation date:1932
Work is:Extant
Owner custodian:Christ Church, Fairwarp
Object listing:Grade II: of special interest warranting every effort to preserve them
Description:Funeral monument. Stone sarcophagus on plinth with moulded lid. The corners have bronze angels with wings unfurled and there are two bronze reliefs to the sides. South side of tomb has a bronze relief depicting Sudanese plantation workers picking cotton. Some sources suggest that the north side bronze relief depicts a machine gunner in a scene from WWI (including the listing details of Historic England - "one depicting a scene from the First World War trenches" - 468700) although it is clearly a depiction of a miner using a drill.
Signatures:Bottom right of bronze reliefs:
RD
1932
Inscription:East side of tomb, inset lead letters:

IN
AFFECTIONATE MEMORY OF
SIR
FREDERICK G.J. ECKSTEIN.
BARONET.
BORN 9TH APRIL 1857
DIED 10TH JVNE 1930

West side of tomb has a relief of the Eckstein coat of arms with motto IN LABORE CREDO

back to top

Classification

Categories:Religious, Funerary, Free Standing, Commemorative, Sculptural
Object type1:Building
     Object subtype1:Mausoleum
Object type2:Relief
Object type3:Sculpture
Subject type1:Pictorial
     Subject subtype1:Group
Subject type2:Figurative
     Subject subtype1:Group

back to top

Object Parts

Part 1:Tomb
     Material:Stone
     Height (cm):97
     Width (cm):90
     Depth (cm):216
Part 2:Stepped (2) base
     Material:Stone
     Height (cm):28
     Width (cm):130
     Depth (cm):253
Part 3:Angels (four identical)
     Material:Bronze, patinated blue/green
     Height (cm):76
     Width (cm):93
     Depth (cm):15

back to top

Object Condition

Overall condition:Good
Risk assessment:No known risk
Condition 1 of type:Surface
     Condition 1: Metallic staining
     Condition 2: Abrasions, cracks, splits
     Condition 3: Bird Guano
     Condition 4: Corrosion, Deterioration
     More details:Metallic staining to the stone from the bronze angels. Bird guano to top of tomb. Cracks and corrosion to the stepped base.
Date of on-site inspection:21/12/2007

back to top

History

History:Sir Friedrich Gustav Jonathan Eckstein
Sir Friedrich Eckstein was a German born on 9th April 1857 in Birkach near Stuttgart. He pioneered the development of South African gold mines together with his brother, Hermann Eckstein, founder of the famous Witwatersrand mining house of H Eckstein & Co. (Corner House) in 1887. Later he was a partner in the Werner Beit Co. of London. He succeeded Sir Julius Weinher as Chairman of the Central Mining & Investment Corporation, but was finally forced out of office by anti-German hysteria that broke out at the beginning of the First World War. From 1888 Eckstein lived in Johannesburg where he had a grand house called Warrington Hall in the suburb of Doornfontein. He married Catherine Mitchell of Kimberley on 30th April 1890 with whom he had a a daughter, Herminie Beatrice and a son, Bernard Friedrich, and in 1901 he moved to England, first to The Walsingham Hotel, Piccadilly and then to 18 Park Lane, London. He was granted Brithish nationality in 1906. He bought Ottershaw Estate in two stages during 1910. He greatly improved and enlarged the estate and demolished the existing mansion to build a larger one in its place. It is said that his wife did not approve of the new mansion and refused to live in it. In addition, he made many other improvements to the estate including the enlargement of the North lodges and erected of a pair of ornate wrought iron gates between them. The kitchen gardens were redesigned and four cottages were converted to form Durnford Lodge. Furthermore, the Bothy may have been substantially altered at this time. When he sold Ottershaw Park in 1919 he moved to Oldlands Hall, Fairwarp, Sussex where he died and was buried in 1930. He was created a baronet in 1929. His wife died in 1935 in Manaus, Brazil.
(http://www.johnathersuch.com/op_website/op_owners_text.htm Accessed 03/01/2008)

back to top

References


back to top

Photographs





Author: Anthony McIntosh
Copyright: Creative Commons




Author: Anthony McIntosh
Copyright: Creative Commons




Author: Anthony McIntosh
Copyright: Creative Commons




Author: Anthony McIntosh
Copyright: Creative Commons

back to top