Object Details

Bridges Memorial Spire

Browse information by:
Location
Makers
General Information
Classification
Object Parts
Object Condition
History
References
Photographs

Download this information in PDF

See 3D model



Author: Anthony McIntosh
Copyright for Photograph:

Creative Commons

Location

Street:Chart Way
Town:Horsham
Parish:Horsham
Council:Horsham District Council
County:West Sussex
Postcode:RH12
Location on Google Map
Object setting:Road or Wayside
Access is:Public
Location note:In St. Marks Court
In the AZ book:West Sussex
Page:25
Grid reference:N9
The A-Z books used are A-Z East Sussex and A-Z West Sussex (Editions 1A 2005). Geographers' A-Z Map Company Ltd. Sevenoaks.

back to top

Makers

Company/Group :Habershon and Brock
     Role:Builder

back to top

General Information

Commissioned by: Rev. A.H. Bridges
Construction period:1870
Installation date:1870
Work is:Extant
Object listing:Not listed
Description:A Gothic style spire atop a tower.
Inscription:Metal inscribed plaque on the S.W. wall:

St Mark's Spire
The Spire is 46 metres (141 feet) high.
It was erected in 1870 as a memorial to Mary
the only daughter of Canon A.H. Bridges.
This was an addition to St. Mark's Church
of the parish of Horsham, built in 1840.
The Church was declared redundant in 1988.
A new Church was built in North Heath Lane
as a replacement by the Sun Alliance Group
to serve the local community and this new
St. Mark's Church was dedicated in 1990.

back to top

Classification

Categories:Religious, Free Standing, Commemorative, Architectural
Object type1:Building
     Object subtype1:Tower
Subject type1:Non-figurative

back to top

Object Parts

Part 1:Spire
     Material:None
     Height (cm):4600
     Width (cm):800
     Depth (cm):800

back to top

Object Condition

Overall condition:Good
Risk assessment:No known risk
Condition 1 of type:Surface
     Condition 1: Corrosion, deterioration
     Condition 2: Bird guano
     More details:General weather wearing all over the building.
Date of on-site inspection:11/09/2007

back to top

History

History:This spire is all that is left of St. Marks Church. The church was built in 1840 and consecrated in 1841.The tower and spire were added in 1870. The parish library was housed here in 1855. The rest of the church was pulled down in 1989. The building also housed two schools. The daughter of the first minister, Rev. A.H. Bridges died at the age of 18 years and he erected the tower and spire in her memory.

back to top

References


back to top

Photographs





Author: Anthony McIntosh
Copyright: Creative Commons




Author: Anthony McIntosh
Copyright: Creative Commons




Author: Anthony McIntosh
Copyright: Creative Commons




Author: Anthony McIntosh
Copyright: Creative Commons

back to top