Object Details

Henry Lane Memorial Drinking Fountain

Browse information by:
Location
Makers
General Information
Classification
Object Parts
Object Condition
History
References
Photographs

Download this information in PDF

See 3D model



Author: Anthony McIntosh
Copyright for Photograph:

Creative Commons

Location

Street:London Road
Town:Bexhill on Sea
Parish:Bexhill on Sea
Council:Rother District Council
County:East Sussex
Postcode:TN39
Location on Google Map
Object setting:Road or Wayside
Access is:Public
Location note:On a grassed area in the centre of Town Hall Square
In the AZ book:East Sussex
Page:145
Grid reference:K1
The A-Z books used are A-Z East Sussex and A-Z West Sussex (Editions 1A 2005). Geographers' A-Z Map Company Ltd. Sevenoaks.
OS Reference:TQ70

back to top

Makers

Name : G. Ball
Company/Group :J.M. Whitehead & Sons Ltd.
     Role:Designer

back to top

General Information

Commissioned by: Public subscription
Installation date:1898
Unveiling date:25/06/1898
Work is:Extant
Owner custodian:Rother District Council
Object listing:Grade II: of special interest warranting every effort to preserve them
Building listing:II
Description:The memorial is a drinking fountain of square plan of which each side, above the base, forms an aedicule. The base is built into the sloping ground. It is built of York stone and red granite. The pilasters or columns of each face are of polished granite carved with decorative scrolls.. There is a stone pediment above these. Rising from the main cap which is of stone, is an ornamental shaft consisting of a moulded and carved base, developed from the square of the cap to an octagonal plan, then a cluster of polished granite columns with enriched stone capitals, finished with an ornamental terminal in stone. Immediately under the frieze on the north side is an alabaster portrait medallion of Col. Lane, with bays of laurel wreathed below it. There are fluted basins on two sides.
Signatures:North face, inscribed to the right of the fountain basin:
J.WHITEHEAD AND SONS LTD
WESTMINSTER
Inscription:North face, carved, gold painted letters, above a portrait relief:

ERECTED I898

below the portrait relief:

Lt COLONEL HENRY LANE
LATE 5th BENGAL LIGHT CAVALRY
BORN AT GHAZEEPORE INDIA
23RD OCT.R 1827
DIED AT BROADOAK BEXHILL
1ST APRIL 1895

South face, carved into the stone:

THIS MONUMENT
HAS BEEN ERECTED TO
THE MEMORY OF
LT COLONEL HENRY LANE
BY COLLEAGUES AND
FRIENDS OF THE DISTRICT OF
BEXHILL AND EAST SUSSEX

UNVEILED
JUNE 25TH 1898
BY MRS LANE, WIDOW
ASSISTED BY
EARL DE LA WARR
AND LORD BRASSEY K.C.B.

East face, carved into the stone:

ARMY SERVICES
--------------------
FOUGHT IN THE
SUTLEJ CAMPAIGN 1845
PRESENT AT
MOODKEE, SOBRAON
ALLIWAL FEROZESHUHUR
PUNJAUB CAMPAIGN 1848
PRESENT AT
COOJERAT AND CHILIANWALA
LUCKNOW
AND RELIEF OF LUCKNOW 1858

West face, carved into the stone:

LT COLONEL HENRY LANE
DC.JP.CA.
FIRST CHAIRMAN
BEXHILL LOCAL BOARD
1884
FIRST CHAIRMAN
BEXHILL URBAN DISTRICT COUNCIL
1894
PRESIDENT
BEXHILL INSTITUTE
PRESIDENT
BEXHILL LIBERAL ASSOCIATION
PRESIDENT
BEXHILL CENTRE
ST JOHN AMBULANCE ASSOCIATION

back to top

Classification

Categories:Commemorative, Sculptural, Roadside / Wayside, Free Standing
Object type1:Relief
Object type2:Fountain
     Object subtype1:Drinking Fountain
Object type3:Shaft
Subject type1:Portrait
     Subject subtype1:Head

back to top

Object Parts

Part 1:Basins
     Material:None
     Height (cm):16
     Width (cm):25
     Depth (cm):13
Part 2:Top section
     Material:Red and grey granite
     Height (cm):180
     Width (cm):40
     Depth (cm):40
Part 3:Shaft / fountain
     Material:Red and grey granite
     Height (cm):291
     Width (cm):122
     Depth (cm):122
Part 4:Stepped base (3)
     Material:Brick with York stone panels
     Height (cm):87
     Width (cm):226
     Depth (cm):226

back to top

Object Condition

Overall condition:Good
Risk assessment:No known risk
Condition 1 of type:Surface
     Condition 1: Corrosion, deterioration
     Condition 2: Bird guano
     Condition 3: Biological growth
     Condition 4: Metallic staining
     More details:Biological growth and guano inside the fountain basin. Green metallic staining around the press-button above the basin. The inscription on the north face is severely eroded and although painted in gold gilt, is difficult to read.
Condition 2 of type:Structural
     Condition 1: Broken or missing parts
     More details:Fountain not in working order.
Date of on-site inspection:06/08/2007

back to top

History

History:The memorial was unveiled by his widow, Ellen Henrietta Lane. Henry Lane (23 October 1827, Chazepoore (Ghazipur) -1895, Bexhill). The 8th Earl De La Warr and Earl Brassey were also present. J.M. Whitehead & Sons actually won the first and second competition prizes for the design and the family were asked to make the final choice. Lane (1827-1895) was known as the 'Father of Local Government in Bexhill'. He was the first Chairman of the Bexhill Local Board, the Bexhill Urban District Council and the first resident Justice of the Peace for Bexhill. He lived at Broadoak Manor on Broadoak Lane.

'BEXHILL AND THE LATE COLONEL LANE'
On Saturday last, at Bexhill-on-Sea, the culminating point was reached in a movement which was long ago set on foot for perpetuating the memory of a man whose public and private acts during a useful life had made him universally beloved and esteemed. The late Col. Lane, in remembrance of whom, a beautiful drinking fountain has been erected on the space of ground in front of the Bexhill Town Hall, and which was unveiled by Mrs. Lane, his widow, was for many years a prominent figure in Bexhill and the surrounding district. He towered above his fellows in the estimation of the people by reason of his excellent qualities. Every good cause found in him a zealous supporter. At a time when Bexhill was changing its condition from a little village to a flourishing health resort the late Colonel Lane did all in his power to smooth the way. He was admired for his capabilities as a local administrator, and as the Chairman of the old Local Board for many years, and also as Chairman of the first District Council, he assisted in the conduct of the town's business with conspicuous success. He was thoroughly impartial, tactful, and genial. Whilst he did everything he could in the public positions he occupied to advance the town's welfare, as a private citizen he was kind and charitable to the poor. When the idea of putting up some memorial in the place was first mooted it was agreed by everyone who had known the late Colonel that such memorial should not be merely of an ornamental character. It was felt that to fittingly commemorate the life of one of Bexhill's most useful men, something of a useful character should be undertaken. More than a year has elapsed since the matter was taken up and a representative Committee formed, with Mr. N. McIvor Rapp as Honorary Secretary. Various schemes were suggested as the Committee met from time to time, but the one for erecting a drinking fountain in the centre of the place gained most favour. Ultimately when Mrs. Lane was consulted on the point she unhesitatingly supported this humanitarian project, and this fact caused the Committee to proceed energetically in the task of bringing it to completion. When subscriptions were invited there wasa general response from ALL CLASSES OF THE COMMUNITY. In course of time no less than £225 - the exact cost of the memorial erected on Saturday - was raised, principally in shilling donations.'
(Bexhill Observer)

The Earl De La Warr donated the land in front of the Town Hall to the Council in order for the memorial to be erected and to provide an open space for the inhabitants to enjoy. The unveiling took place at 12.30, on a very sunny Saturday in the presence of Lord and Lady Brassey, Earl De La Warr, Mr. H.A. Lane and the 'Misses Lane', the local Fire Service under Lieutenant Thomas, a range of other dignitaries and a large number of spectators. Lord Brassey opened the proceedings by giving a speech, then introducing Mrs. Lane, who then pulled a cord revealing the fountain from under a white sheet. Speeches then followed by Earl De La Warr and Mr H. A. Lane, the Colonel's son and Councillor Walter J. Smith from the local Council, who stated: 'There was no doubt that the late Colonel, during his arduous exploits in India knew then the value of a draught of pure water, and doubtless Mrs. Lane had this on her mind when she expressed her wish for a drinking fountain, which may, perhaps, be a boon to many for years and years to come. I trust this memorial may stand for many generations, and may many young men try to emulate the conduct of a good soldier and public man, a citizen of the first order and in every sense of the word a perfect gentleman.' There was a celebratory luncheon at the Manor House and in the evening an 'al fresco' concert given in the illuminated Manor House Grounds.
(Bexhill Observer)

back to top

References

Source 1 :
     Title:Bexhill Observer
     Type:Newspaper
     Page:8

Source 2 :
     Title:Bexhill Chronicle
     Type:Newspaper
     Page:3


back to top

Photographs





Author: Anthony McIntosh
Copyright: Creative Commons




Author: Anthony McIntosh
Copyright: Creative Commons




Author: Anthony McIntosh
Copyright: Creative Commons




Author: Anthony McIntosh
Copyright: Creative Commons

back to top