Sculpture by maker

Geoffrey Clarke - Biography


(1924-). Sculptor, etcher, and designer in stained glass and mosaic, born 28 November 1924 in Darley Dale, Derbyshire. He studied at Preston School of Art, 1940--1, and Manchester School of Art, 1941--2. His studies were interrupted by the Second World War (he served in the RAF, 1943--6), after which he spent a year at Lancaster and Morecambe School of Arts and Crafts, finishing off at the Royal College of Art, 1948--52. He later taught at the RCA in the Light Transmission and Projection Department, 1968--73. Clarke won the Silver Medal at the Milan Triennale, 1951, and appeared at the Venice Biennales of 1952 and 1960. His first solo exhibition was at Gimpel Fils in 1952 and a touring retrospective of his works was organised by Ipswich Museums and Galleries, 1994--5. His commissions include an iron sculpture, 1952, for the Time-Life Building, Bond Street, London; the High Altar Cross and candlesticks, Flying Cross and Crown of Thorns, 1953--62, for Coventry Cathedral; The Spirit of Electricity, 1958, for Thorn House in London; Relief (‘Bubble Chamber Tracks’), 1966--8, for the University of Liverpool; ceremonial entrance portals, 1969, for the civic centre at Newcastle upon Tyne; and Cast Aluminium Relief, c.1964, for the Nottingham Playhouse. He was elected ARA in 1970 and RA in 1976. Examples of his work are in the collections of the Arts Council, Tate Gallery, Victoria and Albert Museum, and in the Leeds Sculpture Collections. Sources: Black, P., 1994; Buckman, D., 1998; Cavanagh, T., 1997; Nairne, S. and Serota, N. (eds), 1981; Royal Academy of Arts, 1972; Spalding, F., 1990; Strachan, W.J., 1984; Who’s Who 1999.


The works of Geoffrey Clarke:


Cross Theme, Chichester

back to top
Click here to see the results on a map