(1812-1873). Born in Greenwich, son of a cabinet-maker. His younger brother, William Milford Teulon (1823-1900), also became an architect. Teulon attended the Royal Academy Schools and exhibited at the Academy in 1835. He subsequently began to practice as an architect in 1838. He became a member of the Council of the Royal Institute of British Architects. Although he specialised in Victorian Gothic churches, he also designed country houses and complete villages on several large estates. His first such commission came from the Duke of Bedford to design cottages for the Thorney estate (1848). He also did work for the Archbishop of Canterbury, the Duke of Marlborough, the Duke of St Albans and Prince Albert. His work includes the Buxton Memorial Fountain, Victoria Tower Gardens, London (1865); All Saints Church, Icklesham (1847-1852); St Margaret's Church, Angmering (1852-1853); Holy Trinity church, Hastings (1851-1859); Netherfield parish church (c.1859); All Saints church, Crowborough; and Brick Lane Music Hall, London.
Waldegrave Memorial Drinking Fountain, Hastings
back to top